Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Yamaha Scooters > Zuma > Stock Zumas

Old 06-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Noob

Default Looking to derestrict my zuma

I just got a zuma scooter from my mom (graduation present.) she bought it stock I think about 3 years ago, and has not modified it at all. If there are restrictors on it, can you tell me where they are and how to remove them? Or maybe just some tips on how to make it perform at its best please.
Thanks
Gordon
Old 06-04-2007, 09:27 AM
///BANNED/

Lightbulb Here's what you asked for and more...

Welcome to the wonderful world of scooting Gordon (and congratulations on graduating.)

Derestriction

Deregulation

Zuma Service Manual Warning: Large pdf file. If you're on a dialup this will take awhile.

Tools You Need

Do you have a helmet?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 PM

other then the obvious- replace yr front tire to a larger one, keep yr air pressure up (if you like to go fast keep yr stock tire when you replace they hold 35lbs which this heavy zuma needs).. get yourself a performance pipe, remove any washers you find in the variator assembly, some rollers like 3.5 or 4.0 and some yellow or i like the red clutch springs you can play with the torque driver spring too (i like the 1999 T.D. and stock spring), remove the elbow from inside the airbox- grind down the ring inside and attach a tube to the airbox which will run threw to the otherside for better/cooler air. and if you really like to mess w/ things take the stock head off and port out the exhaust youll see and be shocked that half the hole is filled in w/ metal (restricted threw design).. do this only if /when you get a larger main jet for yr carb since youll be running too lean for reliability after porting and intake mod.

most of all read all the info thats available here, so many smart people that have already tried and tested most of the things youll want to do to yrs... do it all yrself & youll be able understand when things go wrong and be able to fix yrself. good luck, i hope you have many hrs & thousands of miles of fun before anything gos wrong.

Last edited by thats nice; 06-04-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Noob

Default Thanks

Hey thanks for the welcome and the words, I'll look into it.
I would love to make it go faster, its just that I am in no way a mechanic and I'm on a really tight budget, lol.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Noob

Oh and yeah my mom is giving me her full helmet, its fits nicely, and matches the colors
Old 06-08-2007, 03:23 PM

no money you say well start out slow and read everything that way when yr ready youll already have some understanding with that said you could still do alot of those things i mention w/ little or no money a friend and some tools.. i also forgot to mention a hot-wire for yr spark get one from teamcalimari.com and dont overlook those tires! you can run 130/90/10 front and back for that off-road look but id keep the stock cheng shin tire at least the rear 1 as it holds 35lbs which the heavy 02-05 zuma needs to keep up speed and acceleration, i run a michalin reggae 130/90/10 in front but a cheng shin out back.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Asset to the Forum

Why would a bigger tire on the front make the bike faster? There is no power running to the front wheel. All it does is spin. Its seems to me that a bigger rear tire would change the top speed, and smaller would increase acceleration, not the front.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:26 AM

no my friend, its like having taller gears... bigger tires slower take of- higher top speed, it also takes care of that annoying forward seat angle!

(speedometer will show slower speed)
Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Noob

Default Variator Deregulation

I have a stock 2000 Zuma (BW's). It goes about 60 km/h, which is about 37mph. I looked at the CDI, there is no RED wire to cut. The exhaust has no washer or any derestriction in it. Is the variator deregulation about the same as the HOW-TO example? I'm not sure what kind of scooter they're using. How long will this take? Also, do you guys suggest a complete stage 1 kit, or should I maybe just get a new variator, or maybe just new exhaust? Sorry for all the newbie questions, just haven't seen to much on here about pre-bugs.