Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Every Other Scooter > Asian Scooters > Any Other Scooter

Old 11-29-2005, 07:38 AM

Default TGB Scooters

any other TGB owners out there - I thought there would be more than there seems to be. was I totally off base when I narrowed my choices to Kymco and TGB then deceided on TGB???

I love my new TGB 303R 50 - getting to & from work has never been so much fun
Old 11-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Asset to the Forum

I deal with them at work and they're pretty good. The problem is that they use the Franco Morini engine instead of a Minarelli Horizontal motor.
2004 Triton Mods: Polini AC Evo, Yasuni C20 Exhaust, 28mm OKO Carb, Malossi Piaggio Manifold, Kiesler Wig, Koso Reedcage, Polini Evolution Variator, Polini 14/41 Gears, Polini OverRange Pulleys, Polini 2G, Polini Speedbell, Malossi Jog O/R Belt, Michelin Pilot SC tires, PRE-MIXED

2004 Zip R3i Mods: Polini Corsa/R Cylinder, Polini For Race Pipe, 19mm Arreche Carb, Polini Carbon Fiber Reedcage, Koso Vari, Koso 3-Shoe Clutch, Polini Clutch Bell, Polini Kevlar Belt, PRE-MIXED

Pictures of My Bikes
Old 11-29-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy_scooter
I deal with them at work and they're pretty good. The problem is that they use the Franco Morini engine instead of a Minarelli Horizontal motor.
wow - that shot right over my head, maybe I should have posted in the new members forum?

deal with them as in dealer? wrench?
it's my first scooter and I would like to get to know it better but dont know where to start. I'm don't even know how to get to inside the crunchy outer shell!

I'm thinking there's some sort of electronic governor keeping me just under 40mph - know anything about that?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:30 AM
Asset to the Forum

Default Morini Motori

Quote:
Does this pic look like your motor? More info here www.morinimotori.com/eng/motori03.asp One of their 50cc motors is rated at 7hp stock....not bad
Attached Images
File Type: gif foto1.gif (18.4 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by florida derbi rocket; 11-30-2005 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida derbi rocket
Does this pic look like your motor? More info here www.morinimotori.com/eng/motori03.asp One of their 50cc motors is rated at 7hp stock....not bad
I wish I knew what it looks like - I can only see what sticks out of the shell!

here's what Cobra sales says:

TGB 303R Laser
The TGB 303R Laser is a large scooter that is available with a high-performance 49cc 2-stroke engine or 151cc 4-stroke engine. Both engines come with a Mikuni carburetor designed for cold weather use and a fully automatic CVT transmission.

The Laser has European styling and a Sport Suspension System including a rear mono shock with a floating axle and hydraulically charged front suspension offering excellent handling and control. To add to this great scooter, TGB adds very large aluminum wheels for better stability, 190mm front disc brake, large storage area under the seat.
Specifications
Model TGB 303R 49cc
Engine 2 Stroke Air-Cooled
Performance Series™
Fuel Consumption* 70+ MPG
Cylinder Number 1
Piston Displacement 49.3 cc
Carburetor Mikuni 13mm
Max. Power 4.9 HP @ 7,500 rpm
Starting System Electric/Kick
Ignition CDI
Fuel Tank 1.3 gallons
Gear Shift Fully Automatic CVT V-Belt
Total Length 72 inches
Total Width 26 inches
Total Height 46 inches
Dry Weight 202 pounds
Front Suspension Inverted Hydraulic Shocks Sport Tuned
Rear Suspension Mono Coil Over Shock Sport
Front Brake Hydraulic 190mm Disc
Rear Brake Sealed Drum
Front Tire 120/70-13
Rear Tire 120/70-13
Top Speed Restricted to 30 MPH
De-restriction kits available in some states, <45 MPH
Old 11-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Asset to the Forum

Unfortunatly TGB uses the AH50L motor and not the plus. As for the restriction on your bike, you need to take it to the shop and they will be able to get you a whole new header pipe for the exhaust pipe. Instead of restricting it through the exhaust port or intake they make a small header pipe that restricts flow.
2004 Triton Mods: Polini AC Evo, Yasuni C20 Exhaust, 28mm OKO Carb, Malossi Piaggio Manifold, Kiesler Wig, Koso Reedcage, Polini Evolution Variator, Polini 14/41 Gears, Polini OverRange Pulleys, Polini 2G, Polini Speedbell, Malossi Jog O/R Belt, Michelin Pilot SC tires, PRE-MIXED

2004 Zip R3i Mods: Polini Corsa/R Cylinder, Polini For Race Pipe, 19mm Arreche Carb, Polini Carbon Fiber Reedcage, Koso Vari, Koso 3-Shoe Clutch, Polini Clutch Bell, Polini Kevlar Belt, PRE-MIXED

Pictures of My Bikes
Old 04-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Noob

Quote:
Unfortunatly TGB uses the AH50L motor and not the plus. As for the restriction on your bike, you need to take it to the shop and they will be able to get you a whole new header pipe for the exhaust pipe. Instead of restricting it through the exhaust port or intake they make a small header pipe that restricts flow.
dude you say that you work with tgb's alot and i own a tbg 202t 51 reg and when i took it to the shop they didnt know how to derestrict it do you have any ideas?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:18 AM

I'm not familier with the '202t 51 reg' but if it's an older model of the 303r or in between the 101 and 303 and a 2stroke 50cc there is a restrictor/limiter on the CDI that keeps the max speed down at about 31-32 (measured on my GPS). If you remove the seat box - the CDI is the black box mounted to the bottom of the frame - the brown wire is the limiter. after I cut the brown wire I max out at about 36-37. according to CobraSales that is the only restriction on the '05 TGB 50s. I believe older models have the variator spacer restriction. There is no header pipe on mine - the exhaust pipe is bolted directly to the manifold. there are expansion chamber/performance replacement pipes available for the TGB 50 - which I'm planning on installing but I want to change the rollers and rejet the carb at the same time. I'm told I can expect to approach 50mph after the upgrade, but I expect that means 50 on the speedo which will probably translate to low 40's real time. my scoot is only 6 months (800 miles) old so I'm not in any great rush to void the warranty - which these upgrades will do. BTW the CDI wire snip does not void the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danidge
dude you say that you work with tgb's alot and i own a tbg 202t 51 reg and when i took it to the shop they didnt know how to derestrict it do you have any ideas?
Old 04-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Asset to the Forum

I dont know about the CDI wire for sure but the header pipe is smaller than what it can be therefore restricting flow.

BeachBuzz, your scooter does have a header pipe, its the section bolted to the cylinder and then connects to the large can with 3 bolts. Also, they do make performance exhausts. I know for a fact that Tecnigas makes the Next R for it but not 100% sure on other brands.

If you dont want to spend the money for an all new pipe you can always call TGB and ask them for the larger header pipe that flows better due to the larger diameter.

Pictures of My Bikes
Old 04-06-2006, 06:45 AM

brother speedy - I just went out and checked my exhaust and I'm not seeing any header or replaceable part in the pipe. there is a 2 bolt flange coming off the bottom of the cylinder, the pipe bends around, bumps up to a slightly larger section then to the transition to the can but it's all welded from the flange to the can. is it possible they did away with the replaceable part on the '05s? I'll follow up with CobraSales and see if they have any 'advice' too.

Quote:
I dont know about the CDI wire for sure but the header pipe is smaller than what it can be therefore restricting flow.

BeachBuzz, your scooter does have a header pipe, its the section bolted to the cylinder and then connects to the large can with 3 bolts. Also, they do make performance exhausts. I know for a fact that Tecnigas makes the Next R for it but not 100% sure on other brands.

If you dont want to spend the money for an all new pipe you can always call TGB and ask them for the larger header pipe that flows better due to the larger diameter.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBuzz
I'm not familier with the '202t 51 reg' but if it's an older model of the 303r or in between the 101 and 303 and a 2stroke 50cc there is a restrictor/limiter on the CDI that keeps the max speed down at about 31-32 (measured on my GPS). If you remove the seat box - the CDI is the black box mounted to the bottom of the frame - the brown wire is the limiter. after I cut the brown wire I max out at about 36-37. according to CobraSales that is the only restriction on the '05 TGB 50s. I believe older models have the variator spacer restriction. There is no header pipe on mine - the exhaust pipe is bolted directly to the manifold. there are expansion chamber/performance replacement pipes available for the TGB 50 - which I'm planning on installing but I want to change the rollers and rejet the carb at the same time. I'm told I can expect to approach 50mph after the upgrade, but I expect that means 50 on the speedo which will probably translate to low 40's real time. my scoot is only 6 months (800 miles) old so I'm not in any great rush to void the warranty - which these upgrades will do. BTW the CDI wire snip does not void the warranty.
yeah mine does about 37 and nearly 40 on a good day but i really dont know alot about them cause im 16 havent had alot of experiance and only had this bike about a month. so if i can get some information do you reckon you could help me if you can?

Last edited by danidge; 04-06-2006 at 07:46 AM. Reason: miss shizzle out
Old 04-06-2006, 12:55 PM

keep posting here - there's a lot of experience behind this board.

there is also a Yahoo group at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/tgbscooters/
another more specific sounding board
Old 04-18-2006, 09:26 PM

As a side note I have worked with the 150cc verson of the Laser by TGB, it is built well that I can see, and has globs of power, a good choice I would say.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:48 PM
///BANNED/

Go to STOPLINKINGclick on the British flag for the English language version.
You need a 70cc cyllinder, 22mm Del Orto carb, MHR variator, expansion chamber exhaust this lot shuold give you about 80mph.

You could also get the stuff from STOPTHELINKSclick on British flag for English.
If you have questions e-mail them. The list of parts you need will be the same. I would start with the 70cc kit then the carb then the exhaust and then to use all the extra power the racing variator. You are looking at a couple of hundred bucks if you use STOPLINKINGtheir prices are lower. 70-80mph will be no problem.
See videos I have posted.

Last edited by speedy_scooter; 05-01-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:38 AM

Default tgb

there is a brass shim on the variator shaft that will increase speed if removed and also cut the brown wire from the cdi ,

from another proud tgb owner

p.s by the way the tgb is the only scooter ive ever seen with a pressure fed crank to both bearings , morini engines are great if they have this sort of setup ,, bulletproof!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00554.JPG (604.7 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by gillygillygilly; 05-17-2006 at 02:40 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-19-2006, 05:38 AM
Noob

Default Just got a 303R

Hiya,

I just got a 2001 model 303R and I'll probably do a few things to help speed it up a fraction.

First of all, has anyone got a workshop manual for these things or for the motor in them? I could not seem to find one on the net.

If someone could tell me where to find the battery as well, then that would be great. The only place I've seen batteries is in fron of where your knee's are but there is no compartment there on the 303R.

The other thing I was wondering (and this is probabl most important for me) is that the odo cable is broken. Does anyone know how to get behind the odometer to replace this?

Thanks..!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Noob

Hi:I am soon to become a TGB owner. I justed traded an almost new KYMCO ZX50 for a new R9Laser. This is the 150CC version. Should increase my top speed from 40MPH with my de-restricted ZX50 from 40 to just 0ver 60 mph. Bigger wheels, biiger scooter. Hope I made the right decision!! Will take deleivery in a few days. Will let you know what I think.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Noob

I bought a TGB Delivery bike a few months ago. It is due for an oil change when I have clocked up another 50 miles. I have virtually no information in the user's manual, though - just "take it to a dealer". Can anyone recommend a good service manual for this bike?

Many thanks,

Steve
Old 05-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Noob

does anyone know how to remove the governor from a 1993 yamaha razz?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Noob

theres no brown wire in my cdi what do i do ???
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Noob

btw my bikes a honda sfx vreg 1999
Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Noob

Yeah go to the Cobra Motor Sports Website, they have all the parts and service manuals in .pdf format.
Tom
Old 07-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Noob

Default New Sunset

I have'nt been on provo for quite awhile ,I've been just plain busy. That being said,I want to mention,I just bought another
scooter.Its a TGB Sunset 151cc.I really like it. it has 14" tires and
it really goes.It makes my Vino 125cc look like its sitting still ,infact side by side,the vino looks like a hot-wheel toy.But when it comes right
down to facts.I would'nt trade my Vino for anything. This TGB has
to gain my respect first.My Vino has done it over and over again..
Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Noob

i got the tgb r5 laser deristricted it and put the technigas exhaust on it really made the thing take off. it goes like 7mph faster now. though the real speed isn't reflected on the speeddometer i think they are off a little bit. anyone now how to make it go even faster
Old 07-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Noob

For those of you familliar with these, do you know what the pre-mix ratio would be for the gas? I'm assuming 50:1 but I'm not sure.... I'm contemplating disabling the oil injection system because it makes me nervous. I lost the top end in an ATV a couple years ago due to the injection system failing...

I purchased a TGB Key West in early June. So far, almost 800 trouble-free miles except for the headlight bulb going out on me.... I believe it was de-restricted by the place I bought it from. GPS indicates it will hit 40-41 on level ground. I'm happy with it - if I go off the odometer(which I suspect it off from actual mileage because the speedo reads on the optimistic side), I'm seeing 67-69 MPG.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:29 PM

ok i havent been on here in a long time computer crash (there went the scooter money.) well im back on track saveing up for the new scooter hopefully in the spring.

well i too am looking at the tgb scooters mainly the tgb r50x. what dos anyone think of this scooter i am also looking at the r5 laser as a secend choice. so i have to say its good to be back !!
Old 09-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Noob

Default Re: TGB Scooters

Hi, i have recently bought a 57 reg TGB 202 classic and have noiticed that after starting up it will die all of a sudden. is this due to being overfilled with oil?
Can anyone help?

Mozza
Old 09-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Noob

I Have A Laser And Its A Great Scooter,im Having Trouble Locating Aftermarket Parts To Upgrade The Motor And Exhaust Though
Old 09-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Noob

I need help to figure out how to reduce any sort of restrictions on my TGB Key West. its a 49.5cc and tops out at about 47mph right now. I just dont know what kind of restrictions i need to get around.... thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 11:53 AM

If it goes 47mph, I would say it is already derestricted.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Noob

i have a tgb 101s. i know that there is a restricter in the grearing stopping it getting 2 max speed. its like a washer or somthing stopping the gears moving 2 gether. 1 in the exhaust. air intake and http://www.provoscooter.comwww.provo...ovoscooter.com knows the other.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Noob

i have a tgb key west, didnt think it was gonna be so hard to find others out there who own these things
Old 11-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Noob

Default Heeeee;p...

Quote:
Old 11-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Noob

Default Need help

Quote:
So, you're an expert...
My TGB (Sunset 50) seems to have a fuel starvation problem. If I can start it, it will idle for a while. If I try to give it gas, it smokes badly for a couple of seconds, then it dies. I assume the previous owner put a larger main jet in the carburetor. Could this be the cause ? Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM

hey i am looking to buy one of these tgb 101s west..i would like to get some feedback on some owners how they ride have any problums out of them is the front end light i plan on stunting is it worth $1000 has less then 300 miles on it nothen wrong with it....and where do i buy motor parts for it i plan on hooking it up all the way....any help or feed back would be great thanxs... i am new to the scooter world lol