Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Scooter Related Stuff > Product Previews & Rider Reviews > General parts questions

Old 08-27-2005, 08:45 PM

Cool SplitFire Spark plugs

After reading the pros and cons of the SplitFire plugs for scooters, I decided to go ahead and give them a try. Mind you I used them in my Seadoo for years and was well pleased with them. So I ordered the cross referenced plugs for my 05 Zuma and my 05 Vento GT5. Both scooters seem to start somewhat better than with the stock plugs. Both scooters were running a good color read with the stock plugs and I never had any concerns (both were medium chocolate and fairly dry). After riding for a few lengthy trips I decided to chech the plugs for proper burn. Much to my surprise both scooters plugs were clean with no discoloration. This was after about 30 to 40 miles on each. Each machine still smokes on startup and you can smell the oil at first. Nothing was changed in any way except the plugs. If I were just checking either scooter for the first time I would swear they are running lean. I don't think I have anything to worry about but does this seem normal to you super tuners on the forum? I will continue to monitor the plugs and update but so far the idle is better and the startups are instant. Who knows.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Zuma-Zuma

Simply changing to new, standard plugs does this as well. Not saying anything bad about the splitfire, but on a good running, well tuned machine, I don't believe they will do anything but cost more money. On a poorly running engine, or an oil burning or rich running engine, they may compensate well, and work where others will fail. My snowmobiles call for Iridium plugs, which cost about twice what a split fire does. If splitfires actually did what they say, I would think they would come as standard equipment on some of the big name machinery. Just my .02
Old 08-27-2005, 09:45 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma-Zuma
Simply changing to new, standard plugs does this as well. Not saying anything bad about the splitfire, but on a good running, well tuned machine, I don't believe they will do anything but cost more money. On a poorly running engine, or an oil burning or rich running engine, they may compensate well, and work where others will fail. My snowmobiles call for Iridium plugs, which cost about twice what a split fire does. If splitfires actually did what they say, I would think they would come as standard equipment on some of the big name machinery. Just my .02
True enough Z-Z but I do know that places like Overtons highly recommended them for the 2 stroke marine application. My own experience with the 85 hp jet ski (oil injected) was that once I installed the SF I had no more plug fouling. I know we are talking different animals here but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try them. They may or may not last any longer in the smaller scooter engines but half the fun is trying right? I am usually putting about 120+ a week on the Vento so I should see if anything happens pretty quick. The stock plugs changed color on both scooters much faster when I got them. I will repost when I read them again in a few weeks.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:22 AM
Zuma-Zuma

Marine applications are great for a S/fire. They are very rich running engines that are normally either wide open or idling, so they tend to be hard on plugs. Plus, you can't usually walk home when you foul a few plugs!!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:15 PM

Wink Update on a few observations.

Well is has ben a while since I posted on the Splitfires. First let me address the problem I had with the GT5 after washing it. I finally got it started after it sat for a couple of days and dried out. I think I compounded the wet problem by flooding the engine trying to start it. Now all is well and happy again. I did notice a good bit of oil/liquid dripping out of the exhaust once it started but this has gone away now (still smoke like normal when first started).

I have ben checking the Splitfires in the Zuma and the GT5 on a regular basis and am amazed at how clean they are staying. I do have a light chocolate color around the end of the plug but the tips are staying very clean. When I checked the plugs after a short idle they seem slightly wet which I would think is ok (rich at idle). So far no major performance gains but good plug reads over several hundred miles (500 or more on both scoots).

The next thing to report on is from an older thread about adding acetone to the gas. When I read this it struck a familiar cord since I have done this to cars on several occasions and I read the link about the benefits. So now I premix my 87 octane gas with a small amount of acetone and while again not seeing any super increases in performance, I believe it may be make the scooters run cleaner. Both scooters have over 2000 mile now and they are running great. Both are hitting 60+ mpg and seem to be loving the cooler weather with no adjustments so far. I will continue to monitor and post any changes (good or bad).
Old 11-04-2006, 04:51 PM

Was your stock plug the same as is on the Vino 50 (BPR7HS)?
If so, what is the SplitFire plug number, I think I'd like to give it a shot on my Vino...before I "ghost ride" it into a tree!!!

Ready for your next Prom, Wedding, or Bar Mitzvah!
Call for rates!

http://www.provoscooter.com/vbull/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=1635