Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Yamaha Scooters > The Rest > Razz and Jog

Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Noob

Default 1987 riva jog carburetor compatibility

hi everyone, i`ve just bought my first scooter ever, a 1987 riva jog ce50 for $300 bucks which i thought it was not a bad deal since it only has 650 original miles on it and the guy told me that it has been sitting in his garage for a long time and the only problem was that it was hard starting but if i squirted a little starting fluid in the carb after that it would keep running with no problem so i did BUT i found out that it runs but only for a few seconds and then dies.
cleaned up the carb, still doing the same thing so i decided to get a carburetor and oh surprise! it`s easier to find an icicle in hell than the right carb for this particular model. i suspect that it is the electric choke but i want to buy the whole carb.
my questions are, is it the carburetor? any ideas? AND i saw in ebay one used carb from a 1986 riva jog that looks very similar, is it compatible, and what other years are comapatibles with my scooter?
sorry for the long writing and so many questions but this thing is driving me crazy.
all help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Super poster

The carb from the 1986 Jog should work fine. However; before buying a new carb; take your carb apart and make sure the jets are clean and that nothing is obstructing the passages through them.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Noob

thnaks i`ll do that and see what happens i`ll post back the results.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Noob

Hi, I finally got my scooter going (yyyyyes!!) so I`m gonna tell you what happened maybe it`ll help somebody else. As I said, mine is a 1987 ce50 riva jog so even though is not a brand new one is in very good condition but as you know some parts tend to deteriorate with time. I cleaned the carb and it run for about 20 min then it stop, tried everything that I coud think of...nothing! And I ended up cleaning the carb again and works again so I took it for a ride run fine but when I tried to run it faster about 35mh it stops so I had to walk pushing the scoot for about 1 1/2 miles IN A 105 DEGREES! (is not funny!) well, back to cleaning the carb again but this time I saw the problem, my mistake was that I did NOT checked the air filter thoroughly and it was coming apart so everytime I got it going little particles were getting into the carb but when I run it faster I guess the vacuum increased, the whole filter came apart,and it sucked it into the carb so I took it apart,cleaned up real good, inserted a little vacuum into de part where the carb goes leading to the piston (sorry, do`nt know the name) and suck every thing that might have gone inside. Now is running good except that I`m run it without an air filter but I don`t wanna keep doing that until I ask you guys a few questions in order to make the proper adjustments

Here they go,

where do I buy or how can I make an air filter? I looked everywhere but no luck.
How many oz of oil do I put in the transmission since a want to change it? I read somewhere it is around 3 1/2 oz am I wrong?
Why is my scooter smoking so much? I adjusted the throttle cable and I think I left it to loose, would that be it? I mean, if the amount of oil that gets into the motor depends on the acceleration I guess by loosening the accelerator cable I`m supplying more oil than needed is that it? I`m just guessing but I don`t know for sure

What`s the function of the pilot air jet and how I adjust it, I mean, how many turns?

I notice a smell like burnt oil when I run the scooter for a few miles,same smell as when an engine is overheating.i ckeked for oil leaks from the oil tank all the way down to the carb because i suspected that some may be falling on top of the motor and I could not find one. How hot is too hot in a scooter and is there a way to find out or you just go "by ear"?

All the help will be really appreciated since I`m planning to ride this scooter to work and I can do that ONLY in summer, the winters here where a live are pretty bad. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Noob

I know a little more than you - but since few are replying around here I figure some help is better than none.

1) 2-cycle engines burn oil intentionally, they smoke and smell that way as part of their design ... so no worries.

2) Air filter can be home made with a thin piece of foam - they do sell foam to custom cut on scooter websites. I went to a craft store and used the green foam sheets they sell there and shaved it to less than 1/4" thick and then custom cut my filter.

3) 3 1/2 oz. of oil is correct for filling the transmission

BTW I have a 1986 Jog (ce50) and I am self-teaching as I go along. Got it 4 years ago with 286 miles and now have over 8,200 miles on it.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:53 AM

Default Air Filter

First I see if provoscooter.com has what I need and if not I use a certain online place. We're not allowed to advertise on this site but you can find Razz and Jog and other parts/diagrams by googling: oem and aftermarket powersports parts
Old 10-19-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix View Post
Hi, I finally got my scooter going (yyyyyes!!) so I`m gonna tell you what happened maybe it`ll help somebody else. As I said, mine is a 1987 ce50 riva jog so even though is not a brand new one is in very good condition but as you know some parts tend to deteriorate with time. I cleaned the carb and it run for about 20 min then it stop, tried everything that I coud think of...nothing! And I ended up cleaning the carb again and works again so I took it for a ride run fine but when I tried to run it faster about 35mh it stops so I had to walk pushing the scoot for about 1 1/2 miles IN A 105 DEGREES! (is not funny!) well, back to cleaning the carb again but this time I saw the problem, my mistake was that I did NOT checked the air filter thoroughly and it was coming apart so everytime I got it going little particles were getting into the carb but when I run it faster I guess the vacuum increased, the whole filter came apart,and it sucked it into the carb so I took it apart,cleaned up real good, inserted a little vacuum into de part where the carb goes leading to the piston (sorry, do`nt know the name) and suck every thing that might have gone inside. Now is running good except that I`m run it without an air filter but I don`t wanna keep doing that until I ask you guys a few questions in order to make the proper adjustments

Here they go,

where do I buy or how can I make an air filter? I looked everywhere but no luck.
How many oz of oil do I put in the transmission since a want to change it? I read somewhere it is around 3 1/2 oz am I wrong?
Why is my scooter smoking so much? I adjusted the throttle cable and I think I left it to loose, would that be it? I mean, if the amount of oil that gets into the motor depends on the acceleration I guess by loosening the accelerator cable I`m supplying more oil than needed is that it? I`m just guessing but I don`t know for sure

What`s the function of the pilot air jet and how I adjust it, I mean, how many turns?

I notice a smell like burnt oil when I run the scooter for a few miles,same smell as when an engine is overheating.i ckeked for oil leaks from the oil tank all the way down to the carb because i suspected that some may be falling on top of the motor and I could not find one. How hot is too hot in a scooter and is there a way to find out or you just go "by ear"?

All the help will be really appreciated since I`m planning to ride this scooter to work and I can do that ONLY in summer, the winters here where a live are pretty bad. Thank you in advance.
1) any decent open cell foam will make an air filter. The pre cleaner from an old furnace works good. Free if you look or ask at your local furnace repair place. furniture foam works too. cut to fit.
2)slightly under 4 ounces of either 10w30 motor oil or 80-90 gear oil
I will use gear oil
3) Use yamalube or a good synthetic 2 stroke oil for air cooled motors like amsoil sabre. A low ash oil will smoke less. Do not use tc-w3 outboard oil. I like mazima oil if you can afford it. .
4)The pilot air jet is for 0 to 1/4 throttle.
here is a discussion of it.
http://motorscooterguide.net/Forum/v...php?f=4&t=2008

I have access to all the service manuals in pdf if you need one.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double trouble View Post
1) any decent open cell foam will make an air filter. The pre cleaner from an old furnace works good. Free if you look or ask at your local furnace repair place. furniture foam works too. cut to fit.
2)slightly under 4 ounces of either 10w30 motor oil or 80-90 gear oil
I will use gear oil
3) Use yamalube or a good synthetic 2 stroke oil for air cooled motors like amsoil sabre. A low ash oil will smoke less. Do not use tc-w3 outboard oil. I like mazima oil if you can afford it. .
4)The pilot air jet is for 0 to 1/4 throttle.
here is a discussion of it.
http://motorscooterguide.net/Forum/v...php?f=4&t=2008

I have access to all the service manuals in pdf if you need one.
Do you have a manual in pdf for my scoot too? That would be hella cool.
1995 Suzuki Intruder VS800-project bike.
2104 Yamaha FZ-09-stock

Tags
caburetor, carb, dies, runs