Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Yamaha Scooters > The Rest > Any Other Yammy

Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Noob

Default 1987 Riva 125 won't start

I am new to owning a scooter. So, I bought a Riva 125 that had been in an older persons storage for many years. 1289 miles. Just before I bought it, he had taken it to a local guy and replaced the battery, and had the carb redone, fuel etc. He said the scooter repair person had started it just prior to him coming to pick it up, then was notified the the morning of picking it up the starter went bad. So his wife asked him to just sell it. So, I picked it up for only $380, bought a starter off Ebay, took it apart, but found a brand new clean wire cut, lol, on the hot lead going to the starter. Went ahead and installed the starter I bought. Now all I hear is a click each time I hit the start button from under the seat. Doesnt turn over. Headlight dims each time I hit the button. Starter doesnt crank. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:14 PM

im guessing that the riva 125 doesnt have a kickstart, which is kind of unlike yamaha, then again, here in milwaukee its kind of a strange bike, ive only seen maybe 5 of them and theyre all owned by people who live in a strange bacon smelling part of town.

that all aside it looks like "more" than just the hot lead to the old starter got cut, have you thought of trying to replace that whole wire and just using the old starter? on old harnesses sometimes adding a bigger this or new that can just exacerbate the several kinks and various draws on the poor old system. at least thats the way i would be looking at it if it were mine to tinker with.

Pollini 9 roller verio 3grms, pollini crank, pollini aluminium EVO 70cc, turbokitR 70 pipe, 21mm dellorto carb, and stock clutch stage6 torque spring. /
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duderonime View Post
a strange bacon smelling part of town.
Being a Pirates fan I naturally hate milwaukee. But now I hear this about it, and have a newfound affinity for it. Where is this bacon smelling part, and how do I get me some of that?

For reals, sounds like the electrical system is either not charging or is overloaded.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 AM

yeah check the leads to the battery if its not pushing 12v under load definitely gunna have a bad time. the towns called cudahay, its pretty much an army town built around the patrick cuduhay meat processing plant, it smells like bacon even in the winter time, i think its in the guinness book of world records for most bars per capita. for some weird reason, its the only place ive ever seen a riva 125 or the riva 80, they sell for cheap too cause theyre impossible to find preformance parts for.

Pollini 9 roller verio 3grms, pollini crank, pollini aluminium EVO 70cc, turbokitR 70 pipe, 21mm dellorto carb, and stock clutch stage6 torque spring. /
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 PM

Sounds like a magical place.

Tags
riva 125 starter