Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Yamaha Scooters > Vino > Vino 125 Discussion

Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Default scooter wont start

ok so for the past several weeks, maybe 2 months or so my scooter has been giving me starting problems. if it sat for less than about 15 minutes it would start fine. if it sat for more than 15 minutes but less than 2 hours it would give me problems. more than 2 hours it seemed to start fine. the problem it was giving me was it would try to start but then it sounded like the starter was not engaged at all, just free spinning. after a few attempts it would then start up just fine and run fine. on the rare occasion when i did not want to sit there and keep trying it i would kick start it and it would start on the first or second kick every time.

well starting a few days ago my scooter would not start with the button at all (the free spinning sound started to become very rare these past 3 days, only maybe 3-4 times). if i had rode it within a few minutes (more like 2-5 now) it would restart, but not after any wait time. i had to kick start it and now it is taking me a good 50+ kicks to get this thing started. yesterday i went and got a new battery since mine was the original battery which i bought the scooter 17,200 miles ago in may of 08 and figured that was the problem. the guy at the shop had a vino 125 in the past and said there was a part behind the variator that gets dirty and may cause this problem, said it was those gear things. he said this sounded like my "free spinning problem", he did not say it sounded like my not starting problem. he used the name but i can not recall it at the current time. but anyway, even after a brand new battery the scooter will not start after a few minute wait. last night i took it for a test run of 30 something miles and it ran fine but it always ran fine after it got started. then came in and showered and went out, it started up, but kinda slow and took it for another ~30 mile ride. this morning it would not start with the button and took me forever to kick start it. since the new battery it has only made that free spinning sound 1 time.

any suggestions?

Last edited by fzr confused; 04-17-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 AM

to add:
i was having this free spinning problem before my spark plug wire popped off, the same problem a lot of others have had. i ordered a new wire/cap from yamaha 3 weeks ago, it is still not in. in the mean time (and will keep it probably) i ended up using a plug wire from my buddies ford 460 and went with a plug that has the bigger top, not the screw top and it also had a dual diode. the plug has less than 300 miles on it. after i switched the plugs, the free spinning problem was the same, so i do not think it is anything regarding to the plug/wire.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:33 PM

hmmm, it maybe something to do with the starter bendix, although I don't think its called a bendix on a scooter. The bendix engages the starter motor to the clutch on most bikes to turn the engine over. It usually has a ramp and spring load on it. Some systems use a one way bearing mechanism to engage the starter motor. I will have to look and see how it is on a Vino. It is located behind the CVT cover.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 PM

bendix!!!! thats what he called it! thanks that is exactly what he said i needed to clean. he says he had a vino for a few years and knew all kinds of tricks with them. i still have not yet had a chance to take it apart and clean it, maybe this weekend...
Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Super poster

I believe the bendix you are talking about is called the starter clutch in the manual
Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 PM

Yes, its called a starter clutch on a scooter... If you haven't already downloaded the manual its on page 5-48 and 5-49 of the Vino 125 service manual.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:32 AM

I do have the manual on my comp at home. I'll take a look at it thanks! I gotta switch out my sliders anyway so might as well do it all at once
Old 06-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Noob

Any progress on this problem? I took mine out the other day, the electric start worked when I left, and not when I came back. I can kick start it, but when cold it takes a bit to do. Almost feel like there is a decrease in performance, but I could be dreaming.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:35 PM

About 2 weeks ago I switched back to some 11.5g sliders so while it was apart I took the bendex out and wiped it off. Didn't really see any need for carb cleaner and thought it might damage the bearings actually so I just wiped it clean and reinstalled. *knock on wood* it has started perfectly fine everytime time since. Although I really don't think wiping it did any good lol prob more just taking it on/off helped.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanks for posting the follow up on that problem. Nice to know what you found for future reference.