Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Yamaha Scooters > Zuma > Zuma Performance

Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 PM

Default Easy Mods for a 50cc Zuma?

Hey guys. I'm looking into buying probably a 2004+ Yamaha zuma. I just got a question. What is the stock speed on zumas? I herd that they can go between 40-45 mph stock. Also. I would like to be able to at least get it going up to 50 if not 50+ mph. What is the easiest way to achieve faster speeds?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Official Rep
Admin

Best mod for the money is an expansion chamber exhaust. Its pretty easy to install and makes a huge difference in performance
Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 AM

I would have to agree with g~scoot on that one. Other then that as far as easy you can get a big bore kit as well.

2005 Zuma Team Yamaha Blue
1974 RD-250 Sold
1987 FZ700 Fazer with 4-1 Vance and Hines exhaust
Stage 6 modular race liquid cooled, Stage 6 R1200 exhaust, 21mm Black PHBG Dellorto racing edition carb, Malossi Over range kit! Malossi Delta Clutch and wing bell w/blue clutch springs,Malossi VL12 reed cage with CF reeds,Malossi Brake pads, Stage 6 multimeter (Tach,temp and hourmeter), Str8 water pump and housing, Stage 6 Chrome Kick Starter,Genuine Yamaha Bar Ends.Dual Headlight Mod,Michelin Bopper front and Pirelli SL26 Rear,Motul 800 double ester oil, BR9EIX , PRE-MIX, If you don't have a full race setup run stock airbox! if you don't you are a noobtard
Team provo moderator, keep on scootin "scooter troops"
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Could you perhaps post a link to where i can find/buy an expansion chamber exhaust? Im new to the furoms and i have to clue where to look. thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM

I have an alternate perspective: I feel that if you are mechanically inclined (i.e. not paying a shop), a sport big bore such as the Malossi cast - installed by itself, with only a rejet - will offer better bang for the buck.

Problem is if one is not absoloutly confident (or overconfident) with his / her mechanical ablility, things can and will go wrong in a hurry. And "having a friend that knows engines" all too often leads to trouble.

A pipe takes less than one half hour to do, and can be done by practically anyone. A sport cylinder on one of these engines is easy as far as engine building goes, but it's an entirely different level of work than bolting on a pipe. But I will say that in my experiance, a cylinder alone, with stock pipe, carb, etc. worked very nicely.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Could you post a link to a good bigbore kit or a good exhaust?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM

There are so many products, and they offer differing performance levels. It's really imperative for you to do the research, and decide what you want out of a setup before jumping in. Unless you buy a bike with a wiped motor with the express intent of fixing up and upgrading simultaneously, you should ride around on it stock for a while. Decide what you like about it, and what you don't, since there are pros and cons to every choice. If you are satisfied with top speed, but need more acceleration, you are going to tune differently than someone with other goals.

This will give you the whole deal in one package: http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters...ance-zuma.html
Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the link and ideas, but thats out of my price range, ha. Sorry.

So im looking into buying an 05 zuma off craigslist. whats the top speed on it? its stock.

Also if i just bought this muffler and put it on http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters...xt-r-zuma.html how much faster would it go? is that a good muffler? or is there a better one, thanks

Last edited by Soso404; 03-23-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 AM

I thought I replyed but here goes. That pipe alone would give you about 44-46 MPH and that coupled with a variator and clutch springs and torque spring. will give you a few more MPH an hour and give you a great price exchange for performance without affecting reliablity and is uber easy to install.

Check this out as well: http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters...minarelli.html they have an athena one as well which is only a hair less quality and i run it myself.

clutch springs are offered as well. and torque springs come with those variators as well.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Stage 6 modular race liquid cooled, Stage 6 R1200 exhaust, 21mm Black PHBG Dellorto racing edition carb, Malossi Over range kit! Malossi Delta Clutch and wing bell w/blue clutch springs,Malossi VL12 reed cage with CF reeds,Malossi Brake pads, Stage 6 multimeter (Tach,temp and hourmeter), Str8 water pump and housing, Stage 6 Chrome Kick Starter,Genuine Yamaha Bar Ends.Dual Headlight Mod,Michelin Bopper front and Pirelli SL26 Rear,Motul 800 double ester oil, BR9EIX , PRE-MIX, If you don't have a full race setup run stock airbox! if you don't you are a noobtard
Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Official Rep
Admin

Thats a good choice. If you aren't going to do much else to your scooter (like put a big bore kit on at some point) then that is the exhaust I would recommend. Going back to what blackbomber was saying, I totally agree about the bbk being equal if not a better bang for the buck. The reason I suggested the exhaust was for the ease of install. I wouldn't recommend attempting a cylinder upgrade to someone that has never turned a wrench but the exhaust is a great place to get your hands dirty.

If you want to try your hand at a big bore, I would recommend the Ruima kit for those less experienced. Its a solid performer for a fraction of the price, so if things do go wrong your not out nearly as much.

http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters...7mm-min-h.html

The malossi cast kit and the airsal T6 are also other great options. They are a bit more but offer better performance over the Ruima kit.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g~scoot View Post
Thats a good choice. If you aren't going to do much else to your scooter (like put a big bore kit on at some point) then that is the exhaust I would recommend. Going back to what blackbomber was saying, I totally agree about the bbk being equal if not a better bang for the buck. The reason I suggested the exhaust was for the ease of install. I wouldn't recommend attempting a cylinder upgrade to someone that has never turned a wrench but the exhaust is a great place to get your hands dirty.

If you want to try your hand at a big bore, I would recommend the Ruima kit for those less experienced. Its a solid performer for a fraction of the price, so if things do go wrong your not out nearly as much.

http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters...7mm-min-h.html

The malossi cast kit and the airsal T6 are also other great options. They are a bit more but offer better performance over the Ruima kit.
Isn't that the truth! I would say if you do go big bore go with the malossi sport kit blackbomber has one and i HAD one and it was GREAT lots of torque and great longevity if its tuned right.

I personally think with provoscooter on your side we can give you a painstaking walk through on how to in every detail. I can even give you my phone number and walk you through it. I have walked other members through carb tuning over the phone in fact.

But at the least get a Pipe and variator and you will love it.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 AM

I said all that stuff in post #7 about riding stock for a while, and carefully evaluating exactly where you want to go with the bike before beginning. Truth is, I did all that, and settled on just a Variator and BBK. And here I am several months later with a carb, pipe, upgear, shock, extra springs, and probably a thing or two I'm forgetting. And the cylinder was perfect. I just got greedy. Be forwarned, it gets addictive.
But first things first - get a bike. That '05 is a great platform.

BTW, I'm hitting 54-55mph without breaking a sweat. The pipe I chose gave me only 1mph or so, but I went cheesy. I wanted stock looks and sound. Wound up with stock performance as well.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:43 AM

Yeah i think my BBK has a piston with messed up ring since compression is low and come to think of it (thanks to gabe) I think i may have a piston ring that is rattling. I havent had any problems but it would explain my top speed not being where it should be.

Greedy....ITS NEVER ENOUGH MODS....IM going LC and i will have the envy of the community when i do so :P

Got a new piston kit coming and intake spacer and gasket set and even another plug even though i have two spares sitting around. I think im upjetting soon again...

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 03-24-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonsredcomet View Post
...IM going LC and i will have the envy of the community when i do so :P
I wish I knew about this site when I had my kitted RS50.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:58 AM

Ok guys. thanks for the help. So i was thinking i dont really want to mess with the engine and all right away because i don't want to buy the scooter, and then just break it shortly after, im just going to go with this pipe http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters...xt-r-zuma.html. Like i said im going to hold off on the engine work and all. Is there anything else i could buy besides the muffler that isent dealing with the inside of the engine to make the zuma go alittle faster like an airfilter or so?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:04 AM

I would definately keep the stock airbox just as it is, no mods whatsoever. That means leaving the snorkle in there, too. With the state of tune you are talking about, it's best. Invest the money you wanted to spend on the airfilter into your transmission.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:37 AM

Alright. So do you think that muffler i was talking about is a good place to start?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM

It depends on how far sighted you are. It will be a great match for the stock bore. Money well spent. But if you plan to go to 70cc's, it may not be your best choice. It will probably work ok with a 70cc sport kit, but if you go more aggressive (high reving), that pipe will hold you back.
Now if you do a pipe (any pipe) AND a big bore (any big bore), you really need to consider a bigger carb. Not just for power, but for the safety of the motor. The price adds up fast.

Just get the bike. Spend some time riding it, and reading on these (and other, if you wish) forums. Worry about improving it after you decide what you don't like about it.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:39 PM

Zuma's are very peppy for a stock 50cc. But if you get a good BBK and Pipe like me....You will scream to 60-65 like me but i have alot of money in my setup.

1974 RD-250 Sold