Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Yamaha Scooters > Zuma > Zuma Performance

Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 PM

Default Liquid cool conversion from Air cooled

See set up below for my build THUS FAR. Iam seriously and will more then likely in the near future wanna go to a LC minarelli from my zuma's AC minarelli. I believe all you need is just a radiator, pump and hoses an. It will be with my future RSII pipe and upgear of course.

I want someone with the extreme expertise (overrev *cough cough*)
and j~scoot to post about what kind of LC conversion kit he can get for us here for people with a 2002-2005 zuma.

And maybe in the mean time i might get a RAM air scoop since i want my zuma to last FOREVER! but Liquid cooled would be better.

So lets kick this off with the question more specifically: What LC conversion kits are available to me and others here with a Horizontal Minarelli 02-05 zuma
Also in a side note i will be purchasing a spacer for my reedcage to increase flow.and finally putting in the stuffer for my vl12 malossi reedcage

2005 Zuma Team Yamaha Blue
1974 RD-250 Sold
1987 FZ700 Fazer with 4-1 Vance and Hines exhaust
Stage 6 modular race liquid cooled, Stage 6 R1200 exhaust, 21mm Black PHBG Dellorto racing edition carb, Malossi Over range kit! Malossi Delta Clutch and wing bell w/blue clutch springs,Malossi VL12 reed cage with CF reeds,Malossi Brake pads, Stage 6 multimeter (Tach,temp and hourmeter), Str8 water pump and housing, Stage 6 Chrome Kick Starter,Genuine Yamaha Bar Ends.Dual Headlight Mod,Michelin Bopper front and Pirelli SL26 Rear,Motul 800 double ester oil, BR9EIX , PRE-MIX, If you don't have a full race setup run stock airbox! if you don't you are a noobtard
Team provo moderator, keep on scootin "scooter troops"

Last edited by zeonsredcomet; 10-16-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:01 PM

Liquid cooling is the cylinder and head. The liquid circulates through the cylinder and head and is cooled in the radiator. So the parts you mentioned you will also need a water cooled cylinder and head kit pluss some odds and ends.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:18 PM

Well thats what i thought but.... i think i worded that wrong

What LC cylinder bbk's are out there and where can i get it (jeff *cough cough*) and the radiator and pump and hoses and whatever else.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Stage 6 modular race liquid cooled, Stage 6 R1200 exhaust, 21mm Black PHBG Dellorto racing edition carb, Malossi Over range kit! Malossi Delta Clutch and wing bell w/blue clutch springs,Malossi VL12 reed cage with CF reeds,Malossi Brake pads, Stage 6 multimeter (Tach,temp and hourmeter), Str8 water pump and housing, Stage 6 Chrome Kick Starter,Genuine Yamaha Bar Ends.Dual Headlight Mod,Michelin Bopper front and Pirelli SL26 Rear,Motul 800 double ester oil, BR9EIX , PRE-MIX, If you don't have a full race setup run stock airbox! if you don't you are a noobtard
Old 10-17-2009, 07:54 PM

For the pump, there are two kinds:
1. Mechanic Pump,
it is good and reliable, as long the the crank is spinning, the pump is moving, but the down point is if your set up is a high rev, high HP type, the screws that move the pump will break very easily. So there is a limit of your set-up with mechanical pump.
2. Electric Pump,
It don't have the problem with mech pump, it will keep pumping no matter how high rev/HP is your set up. But if you have a dead battery, or a blow fuse, then the pump will stop and your scooter will be ready to go down.

So depend on your set-up, you can pick either one.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:09 AM

Can i have a Mech pump with electric back up or a combo pump. And where can i get a radiator could i just use a aerox radiator and where and how to get one.

Also in the mean time since going LC would be costly....where can i get a good Ram air scoop ive seen them on Ebay but i dont see them anymore.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 10-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Official Rep
Admin

It seems like the ideal would be, especially for a conversion kit, an electric pump with a gauge to tell you the temp of your cylinder head. That way if it starts heating up you are warned, but you won't have to worry about getting a mechanical pump installed.

The easiest way to find a LC kit would be to look under the category for the Aerox LC. Here are some Malossi part numbers:

70cc Cast Iron: 31 8284
50cc Cast Iron: 31 8556
70cc Aluminum MHR Replica: 31 8430

There are others as well.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 PM

If you want to use the RS pipe, I would suggest you to get a T6 LC, which should match very well with the pipe. In that case, I think the mech pump is good enough. But if you thirst for more power, then you will need to switch to an electrical pump. Also, a temp gauge is a must.

For the radiator, I usually get it off ebay. The most difficult part for many of us who covert our bugeye into LC, is to find a place to mount the radiator. Rad should mount into a higher point. Once your find a place to put the rad, then you have to figure out the cooling part, that is to make sure it won't go overheart. I know some actually add a big computer fan to blow at the rad to cool it down. Some wield an extra transmission cooler.

You will find that the mechanical part of the conversion is pretty simple, but it is the engineering part that is frustrating.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Official Rep
Admin

As for the radiator, I'm sure there are cheaper kits than this, and I don't know if this will even work it might be too big. But Its pretty nice looking and the dimensions make it look like a pretty easy one to make work. It comes with most of the parts you would need as well. We don't have this in stock but like always, we can get any malossi parts for you.

http://malossi.com/catalogo/Cata_Mai...&TWord=7113895
Old 10-23-2009, 03:08 AM
Asset to the forum

we run mechanical pumps on our street/track race scooters with no problems at 13K to 15K rpm, this is much more practical & reliable than running an electric waterpump which we only use for drag racing as the parasitic hp loss from driving the mechanical water pump is significant at 14K rpm due to the drag caused by the water circulating through the pump.

if i had to choose what kit to use for a street/track setup with as much longevity i would pick the MHR Replica kit coupled with a PHBG21 carb.

for reliability you should get a radiator big enough to keep the temps within 50C to 60C at full throttle & fully warmed up to operating temps.

our dual radiator Beta Ark LC has peaked at 58C & this is with speeds maintained at 130kmh to 135kmh using a Koso digital speedo/tach/temp gauge. let me post a pic of that radiator setup we did.

Click the image to open in full size.

i cut the fairings in front of the radiator so wind could flow to the radiators, we removed the original cooling system as it is inadequate to cool a 20+hp MHR 77cc setup, if we had run the stock cooling system it would have blown a hole clean through the piston after a 250km ride by the owner. we are using an NGK B11EGV racing plug & 95 octane unleaded pump gas.

Yamaha Aerox R
MHR Team 6T 70cc (max tuned) + MHR Team Crank + SKF 6204 TN9 C3 bearings + Malossi VL12 reedvalves + Yasuni C21 exhaust pipe + Keihin PWK28 carb + PVL digital inner rotor ignition + Polini Evo SS9 vario kit + Malossi Kevlar belt + Polini 128mm rear pulley + Malossi red vario spring + MHR blue clutchsprings + Delta clutch + Wing bell+ Polini 15/42 gear kit + Malossi RS24 rear damper + Bridgestone Racing Battlax tires

my "humble" trackday toy, 90+mph.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:45 PM

Exclamation

This thread is shaping up pretty good!

The next question is this. Running a street bbk it seems a mech pump would be a better choice but an electric pump has the tach/temp gauges correct??

And overrev that set up you have on your beta ark looks tight! You dont say too much about your beta ark. The aerox you have comes LC but what about the beta arks cooling system how do they differ and do you still do race setups with AC scoots?

Also overrev you run a shop correct? and can you tell us exactly all the scoots you own and even bigger bikes as well sir? again overrev you are a god!

1974 RD-250 Sold

Last edited by zeonsredcomet; 10-24-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 PM

I have a Koso tach temp gauge on my air cooled motor. It has nothing to do with what kind of pump you use.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Whether mech or electric pump, you will still need a temp gauge. The temp sensor is insert in the cylinder head.

Overrev in is Philippines, and then there is all types of bike/scooter over there, all you can mod, inside and out, I don't think there is enough space for him here.... Also, I like there has somthing call underbone (I think) which is semi-auto bike, you have to switch gears, but then there is no clutch. Very cool. Like the Honda XRM..
Old 10-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Asset to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonsredcomet View Post
This thread is shaping up pretty good!

The next question is this. Running a street bbk it seems a mech pump would be a better choice but an electric pump has the tach/temp gauges correct??

And overrev that set up you have on your beta ark looks tight! You dont say too much about your beta ark. The aerox you have comes LC but what about the beta arks cooling system how do they differ and do you still do race setups with AC scoots?

Also overrev you run a shop correct? and can you tell us exactly all the scoots you own and even bigger bikes as well sir? again overrev you are a god!
an electric pump doesn't have a tach & temp gauge, you add that by installing a gauge.

the Beta Ark LC isn't mine, it's for a customer/friend which i built from the ground up, it's now fully setup for track use, the owner goes back here once in a year from work (he works in the USA) just to ride his scooters & this is his most prized scooter second only to the Yamaha Jog dragscooter with the 2F4R 78cc engine.

i can't begin to tell you how much this Beta Ark LC runs with the MHR BB 77cc setup, it's practically a wheelie machine even with tall gearing (10.4:1 with 140/60-13 tires). i have a video of it somewhere on youtube just look for the username "2F4R" & you will see it along with videos of my other toys.

we used to race with AC setups but due to the way i tune my engines AC engines couldn't go the distance, even with LC if i hadn't increased the cooling capacity to more than double of the stock capacity i would have holed a piston on the MHR BB 77cc kit. making over 20hp demands a lot from your cooling system as the stock radiator is designed to handle not more than 10hp.

i just came back from the track today, i put my 600RR to it's paces & tuned the suspension to my preferences, i managed to pass some 1000's on the corners which made it more fun. now i am exhausted from all that activity as riding a 400+lb sportbike takes a lot of you & i had to ride to & from the track (100miles round trip) plus the 60miles i accumulated in just 5hours of track riding.

please excuse me now while i have to go to my room, the bed really looks inviting.

Yamaha Aerox R
MHR Team 6T 70cc (max tuned) + MHR Team Crank + SKF 6204 TN9 C3 bearings + Malossi VL12 reedvalves + Yasuni C21 exhaust pipe + Keihin PWK28 carb + PVL digital inner rotor ignition + Polini Evo SS9 vario kit + Malossi Kevlar belt + Polini 128mm rear pulley + Malossi red vario spring + MHR blue clutchsprings + Delta clutch + Wing bell+ Polini 15/42 gear kit + Malossi RS24 rear damper + Bridgestone Racing Battlax tires

Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Asset to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungff77 View Post
Whether mech or electric pump, you will still need a temp gauge. The temp sensor is insert in the cylinder head.

Overrev in is Philippines, and then there is all types of bike/scooter over there, all you can mod, inside and out, I don't think there is enough space for him here.... Also, I like there has somthing call underbone (I think) which is semi-auto bike, you have to switch gears, but then there is no clutch. Very cool. Like the Honda XRM..
there is no clutch lever but it still has a centrifugal clutch similar to the ones used in scooters but it is submerged in engine oil just like the rest of teh transmission. when you press on the shifter lever it automatically disengages the clutch in the clutch basket & shifts up or down depending on which end you step on.

also these "underbones" have 2 clutches, one is the traditional clutch basket as used with manual geared bikes & the other is a centrifugal clutch, the centrifugal clutch is there to eliminate the clutch lever so even if it is in gear the engine won't stall as the centrifugal clutch is disengaged at low rpms.

i have raced these types of bikes in an 8 hour endurance race before but my first love is still scooters bcoz that is where i started my career as a motorcycle technician & tuner before i moved up to sport bikes.

if you can have a look at our house it's like a warehouse of scooters & motorcycles, in fact it has become an extension of our shop, we couldn't find any place to put our parts & bikes in the shop they're now in our house.

Yamaha Aerox R

Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 PM

overrev, sure if I have time in my next trip to philippines, I should drop by at your shop. Anyway, there is no clutch lever-less underbones here in North America, too bad.

Anyhow, I think it is tough to keep the temp between 50-60c, I think 75-85c is easier. below 70c is when I am rider long road with cool win...otherwise, my running temp is more between 75-85c havn't ride and check for the exact figure, but it is around there.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Asset to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungff77 View Post
overrev, sure if I have time in my next trip to philippines, I should drop by at your shop. Anyway, there is no clutch lever-less underbones here in North America, too bad.

Anyhow, I think it is tough to keep the temp between 50-60c, I think 75-85c is easier. below 70c is when I am rider long road with cool win...otherwise, my running temp is more between 75-85c havn't ride and check for the exact figure, but it is around there.
shop is 60miles northeast of Manila, but going there is like taking a trip of 120miles bcoz of traffic unless you now the better way to my shop.

as for keeping it 50-60C with LC it isn't that much of a problem as long as you run a big enough radiator, you lose a bit of power when you go a few degrees hotter than the ideal temp.

Yamaha Aerox R

Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 AM

This thread is win x10

Iam just soaking up this info like none other. So how hard would it be to get a temp and tachometer in my AC set up? Details please gentelmen if you would be so kind? This thread is already stick worthy by far. I hope this helps others out too and gets some people some great LC knowledge.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 03-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Thread "bump" my question would be if i use teh tecnigas RSII with MHR rep LC variant would the pipe i have act as a restrictor of sorts?

Jeff can you link me the MHR LC kit that comes with all i need and PHBG 21mm dellorto carb overrev suggested in his previous post since i would like to copy his suggestion.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 03-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Looks like the PHBG 21MM carb will be the first thing i purchase soon.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Ok im freaking excited as heck that provo is offering this http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters...-min-h-lc.html An Athena LC cylinder kit.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 04-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Noob

nice! is that what you are going to run?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:57 PM

Yeah it looks like it either the Athena LC or the MHR REP LC kit with PHBG 21mm Carb dell'orto. Im looking to use a CR-80 Radiator since Hungfff said he uses that and its easier to mount since its narrowier and he said SSP pump but i still need more details.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Noob

Looks like you got a sweet set up! I also have a cr125 radiator that might be an option. Im running a 17.5mm carb ,should i step it up?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 PM

No 17.5 is big enough from what I've heard but if i go with LC im going all out. Are you selling the CR125 radiator or is that what you are going to use? If your selling it shoot me a PM. Does anyone know where to get the gauges i will need?

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 PM

Thread bump, Im getting back into the mindset of going LC since i have another bike to ride while the zuma is down. That and i will shortly have money to bank roll this project.

So im thinking of doing the MHR REP build with PHBG21mm carb. I don't know what exhaust i should run but i was thinking of the MHR REP exhaust as well. I may go overrange with 16/40 malossi upgears as well.

I will probably will do the CR80 or CR125 Radiator with SSP mech pump.

1974 RD-250 Sold

Last edited by zeonsredcomet; 05-23-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 PM

I can tell you, all I have is the S6 streetrace LC bore and stock everything else, but its freekin awesome!! I run a YZ 85 radiator and STR8 pump.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Asset to the forum

do it, it's been too long & it's always good to try something new. over here everybody's dumping their old 70cc kits stepping up to 77 78 80 & 94cc setups, if it weren't for my 600RR i would have jumped the bandwagon long ago but still the MHR Team 70cc kicks ass as it gave a lot of 400 450 500cc motards a run for their money at the track. LOL

Yamaha Aerox R

Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Overrev, what kind of MPH and MPG would i get with the MHR REP LC bore and dell 21 PHBG and maybe MHR REP exhaust. It says the MHR REP LC makes 12HP alone so with maybe MHR Multivar, DElta clutch and wing bell and maybe 16/40 malossi upgears or my current 15/50 athena upgears i currently run. What do you think will i get close to 70 MPH? How does the MHR REP LC bore compare to the Athena LC bore? I would think they are pretty comparable since the MHR REP isn't that much stronger than the Athena in the AC department.

I need to swap my crank first overrev, I need a tool to help with the Crank seals being placed and drawing the case halves together...i know you have a tool for just that....maybe send me one???

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 PM

If you have the power to pull 16/40's, im sure you could do 70 no problem. But those are really tall gears.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 PM

Thats what im wondering if that setup will be strong enough. I think 12HP from the top end coupled with a good MHR REP exhaust will give me plenty to do those gears.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Asset to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonsredcomet View Post
Overrev, what kind of MPH and MPG would i get with the MHR REP LC bore and dell 21 PHBG and maybe MHR REP exhaust. It says the MHR REP LC makes 12HP alone so with maybe MHR Multivar, DElta clutch and wing bell and maybe 16/40 malossi upgears or my current 15/50 athena upgears i currently run. What do you think will i get close to 70 MPH? How does the MHR REP LC bore compare to the Athena LC bore? I would think they are pretty comparable since the MHR REP isn't that much stronger than the Athena in the AC department.

I need to swap my crank first overrev, I need a tool to help with the Crank seals being placed and drawing the case halves together...i know you have a tool for just that....maybe send me one???
70mph is easy with the MHR Rep kit & PHBG21 carb but i won't use the MHR Rep exhaust as it's overpriced for the performance it gives, you'll be better off with other pipes like the Stage6 Pro or a Yasuni C16. test the 15/50 gears first to see if it can reach 70mph without revving too much, if not you can try 14/42 gears.

for the Athena LC vs Malossi MHR Rep LC the one thing that is going for the Malossi is the ports as the exhaust port of the MHR Rep has euxilliary ports which is good for power, however the Athena runs a bigger bore so with a slightly bigger engine it would make a bit more torque. for sure the MHR Rep will cost more but quality wise both kits are good as they are both Italian made.

i think you should go LC now bcoz sooner or later you'll be upgrading anyway.

as for the crank tool the last time i had one made the machinist botched the shaft where the crank threads to & where i am at right now there are no machinists around to make them for me. when i get spare time i'll have a few made to sell there in the US.

Yamaha Aerox R

Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 PM

Should i ditch my RSII? My RSII seems like its holding me back right now with my current setup. Add me on FB so we can chat overrev is that okay?

Could i just go with an Athena pipe or is the STage 6 Pro aren't they the same exact pipe? I want to talk to you about my setup im running now. I'll be messaging you about it.

Let me know about buying the crank tool.

I got the MHR Torque driver and which setting should i use. I have used one but i haven't tested the OTHER testing on my torque driver. Check my sig and see if you can suggest anything for my current setup.

1974 RD-250 Sold

Last edited by zeonsredcomet; 05-24-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 AM

I personally would just take it to the Yami shop or something to have it pushed out. Then take it back when your ready to re-install. May as well tune the carters and match the cylinder while you have it all apart.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 PM

I was going to do a base gasket port match on the cases when i have them off to the MHR REP LC kit that is.

1974 RD-250 Sold
Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 PM

Might as well get some epoxy and flow the case while your in there too.