Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Yamaha Scooters > Vino > Vino 125 Discussion

Old 11-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Starter doesn't work; won't kick start...

It sat for a month without use, and I tried to start it up. Turned the key and I got silence. Kick start it and I get nothing. Squirt ether in the air filter and I get two puts and then quit WITH KEY ON OR OFF! Plenty of good gas, strong battery, kickstand up, both brake levers compressed. First thought was spark plug, but that wouldn't explain the starter malfunction. Neither would bad gas.
Anyone run into this problem before?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootist
It sat for a month without use, and I tried to start it up. Turned the key and I got silence. Kick start it and I get nothing. Squirt ether in the air filter and I get two puts and then quit WITH KEY ON OR OFF! Plenty of good gas, strong battery, kickstand up, both brake levers compressed. First thought was spark plug, but that wouldn't explain the starter malfunction. Neither would bad gas.
Anyone run into this problem before?
Emergency Stop Switch On? Do the brake lights work?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Asset to the Forum

Wow buddy! You have a serious case of a scoot that wants to stay in bed.

Lets see, you said a strong battery. How do you know? Have you charged it? While I don't think a month is enough to really drain a good battery, you may have an accessory on your bike that you left on without knowing about it. If you haven't tried to charge it, go ahead and zap it. That alone may solve your problem.

The fact that nothing happens when you turn on the key makes me suspect battery battery battery. Are the connections good? Check them. Take them off and put them back on.

As far as your engine not starting with the kick starter alone, that doesn't surprise me. After a month the fuel in the carb has evaporated and kicking it is almost futile until you get things moving again. I would only be concerned if the bike didn't start using the starter.

Keep us updated so we can help you as much as we can.
2006 Yamaha Vino 125 (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by waterinthefuel; 11-13-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling LOL
Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Asset to the Forum

This happened to me once. Still to this day I don't know what the prob was. Everything was fine and in order. I tore apart the carb and cleaned it a few times and it eventually worked again. I'm guessing there was some funk in the line that just needed to slowly work it's way out.

When you hit the ingition does it try and turn over at all?

Have you checked the water levels in your battery? Have you checked the fuse?

http://www.scootertime.net/

'09 Yamaha Zuma 125 "Uno Muerte" Lightly modded up to 65 mph.
'07 Yamaha Vino 125 "Sue Ellen" 65mph. R.I.P
'85 Yamaha Riva 125 "Black Lotus War Machine" Dead.
'02 Derbi Atlantis "Vincent" Beast in the making.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:07 AM

Switches are on and run. Taillight comes on when I turn the key to on. No clicking at all, NOTHING, when I push start button. No dimming of brake light when I push start button. Brake light works from either brake lever. Turn signals work fine. The down time was IN the garage.

Last edited by scootist; 11-14-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 AM

iv had some problems with electrical both with my razz and the vino wiring....on the razz ther had been a conection in the lever control that the solder had broken ...so got the solder gun and fixed it..with the vino wiring iv had a bad fuse, i broke the cdi by not having the ground conected and turning it over ith the start button, but i dought thats anything to do with your case. only thing i can think off is check for spark first and formost....have a buddy kickstart while you hold the plug so you know your getting spark....if thats so than your scoote should run with out the starter engaging putting your problem in your starter button.. if you get no spark than thers a wire off somewere..on provoscooter.com they have a 2006 vino 125 service manuel and in that ther is a wireing diagram of th entire scoote n also highlghted the ignition components and how to chck them
Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 PM

I've had similar problems to you when I left my scooter idle for just two weeks. THe push start would work, but the engine would not want to turn over. The kick start didn't work either.

Only after twenty push starts, did it finally work. then it kept stalling at idle.

I cleaned the carb, cleaned and regapped the plug to proper factory settings, adjusted the idle speed, and cleaned the air filter and ran carb cleaner through three tanks of gas. Still stalls a bit when cold, but it starts up okay now.

This wasn't the first time either. Earlier on, I had the same problem, TWICE. Both times it was the battery.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe!
I've had similar problems to you when I left my scooter idle for just two weeks. THe push start would work, but the engine would not want to turn over. The kick start didn't work either.

Only after twenty push starts, did it finally work. then it kept stalling at idle.

I cleaned the carb, cleaned and regapped the plug to proper factory settings, adjusted the idle speed, and cleaned the air filter and ran carb cleaner through three tanks of gas. Still stalls a bit when cold, but it starts up okay now.

This wasn't the first time either. Earlier on, I had the same problem, TWICE. Both times it was the battery.

mine did the same thing after about 5-7 days of setting, i found if you twist the gas throttle about 10 or 12 times it gets the accl. pump going to get some gas to it, now that I've disabled the pump I've have to take the front panel off and reach in with my finger and do it. i guess the gas in the float bowl evaporates from the heat. now that its getting cooler it's not doing it like in the summer months, but I've never had any problems with the starter or the battery so far. the battery is 6 months old.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Asset to the Forum

make sure you have water in the battery--the cells tend to run dry. mine were completely dry overr the summer, I added some water and it starts much better.
2003 Yamaha Vino (found a good home)

Old 11-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Asset to the Forum

Remember to keep that clear, you want waterinthebattery, not waterinthefuel!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:10 PM

The battery is fine. If I jump from the battery to the starter, it turns over fine. There's no spark. There's no starter. The only thing that comes on when I turn the key to "on" is the brake light. The turn signals work with the switch on, but the starter and ignition don't. I don't have a manual, but am tracing the wiring to find where I'm losing B+. If I don't get it running by tommorrow, I'll drop it off at the independent dealer who's going to sell it for me.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Asset to the Forum

The service manual can be downloaded from this website somewhere for free.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:00 AM

here is the manual from the site hope it helps

http://www.provoscooter.com/shop/VIN...viceManual.pdf

it takes a few min. to load but it should help.

Last edited by shadow; 11-16-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 PM

The kill switch was broken internally. I fixed that. See new post "One spark, then nothing" for continuing problems with this scoot!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the manual download. It helps! So far, I've discovered that none of my old multimeters is up to the job. Guess I'll have to break down and buy a Fluke....
Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 PM

rebuilt emergency stop switch three times before I got it to work. Runs fine now and is on consignment at Brett's Bikes.