Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Yamaha Scooters > Zuma > Stock Zumas

Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Carb cleaner screwed up my scooter?

Hi, I put STP carb cleaner fuel additive in my gas, drove for a while (15 mins). Then, before I put the scooter away for the night, I put it on the centerstand and turned the throttle 1/8, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 and then full throttle. After about 5 seconds at full throttle, the rpms shot down and the scooter has never been the same since:

It will start fine, will rev low, and medium, but not high: it won't hit high rpms. When I drive, sometimes I go 45+ then it kicks from 43 to 47, 43 to 47, and so on... sometimes it kicks like this at slightly lower/higher speeds.

What am I going to have to do to get this machine working again, I need it for daily commuting to work... : (.

Please help, and fast ... Nick
Old 06-21-2007, 12:01 PM

When added according to the directions (one bottle for 20 gallons or so), I don't think it would hurt the engine.

You only added a tiny amount of cleaner, right? (If you used too much, I'd get a hose and suck the rest of the gas out.)

EngineerBoo
Monument, Colorado
2006 Kymco 250 People Scooter
Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 PM

yeah, i had to do that with the octane booster i bought. most of those little bottles are made to treat up to 15 gallons, so dumpin the whole thing in a 1 gallon tank might have some adverse effects..
Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Super poster

Um, I'm not for sure, but isnt that stuff abrasive? In other words, wouldn't the carb cleaner act as a degreaser and break down your oil? Is it okay to use in a two-stroke?

Last edited by rmehuron; 06-21-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Super poster

Probably not what you want to hear, but I found this quote on STP's website:

Are STP® products safe for two-cycle engines?

The STP® fuel additive products have not been tested for use in two-cycle engines. Therefore, we do not recommend that they currently be used for two-cycle applications.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:21 PM

Good catch...my scooter is a four-stroke and didn't think about that....looks like it's time to get that gas out of there!

EngineerBoo
Monument, Colorado
2006 Kymco 250 People Scooter
Old 06-21-2007, 02:21 PM

same thing happened to me.. I got that gas out and filled up with some fresh gas.. it sputtered a little bit until all that stuff was out then.. it ran fine.
04 Vino, Polini corsa 70cc cylinder, 19mm Dellorto carb 95 jet, tecnigas rs exhaust, and malossi variator and 2000RPM clutch spring with Polini 2g clutch... (coming soon: up gear, new wheels & tires, Japanese style winkers and brake light) 50mph
Old 06-21-2007, 02:49 PM
///BANNED/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullet
yeah, i had to do that with the octane booster i bought. most of those little bottles are made to treat up to 15 gallons, so dumpin the whole thing in a 1 gallon tank might have some adverse effects..
You are lucky you did not blow-up your motor!!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Super poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerBoo
Good catch...my scooter is a four-stroke and didn't think about that....looks like it's time to get that gas out of there!
Aren't we talking about Zumas here????? It might be okay to run in a 4-stroke, but in small amounts. I wouldnt trust that crap. Take the carb off and clean it up good!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axton
You are lucky you did not blow-up your motor!!
is that what happened to urs? i knew not to put the whole thing in mine, i just use a couple of capfuls, and even that is prolly too much. thats what happens when the only station when ur empty is a caseys with the highest octane bein 89.. what a crock.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 PM

I drove it to work at 40kph after 2 people told me it should be okay, it stalled on the way back right after it sputtered, slowed down, idled, backfired 4 times, then died.

Then, I walked it about 2kms and tried to re-start it, it started on first kick (which choke) I reved it a few times, and it idled smoothly after that. I hoped on and drove it home about 1km. It idled smoothly when I got home, just couldn't get high rpms when reving, and if I held the breaks and full throttled it then let go of the gas: it backfired.

Funny thing is, the first few minutes of my drive home after work was fine, it worked fine and I could hit like 60km/h with normal acceleration.

It was stupid for me to drive it to and from work (I know), but I needed to get to work. Besides, blowing a motor would have "forced" me to get a big bore kit : )... still dumb though: sorry guys.

I am definitely going to get the gas out of there, I think I might have put too much carb cleaner in there. Either way, it's worth a try. I also went with lower octane gas then usual (regular octane instead of supreme, but I doubt that would do anything).

What is the best (AKA: Easiest) way to get the gas out of there? Please be very precise.

Last edited by Nicolas; 06-21-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Asset to the Forum

best and easiest way would be to first unhook your gas line going to the carb. This should be the fatest looking rubber line, generally on the right side of the carb. Don't worry gas won't spill out, since its vacuum petcock operated. (edit* the tiny bit of gas still in the line will spill out, so be ready for that)

Once the line is off, get a container to put the gas in and setup the line so when gas flows it'll easily get to the container.

Next pull the second biggest black "vacuum" line off the carburetor, this one should be located farthest back when looking at the carb sideways. Nothing will flow out of this line, its just vacuum line.

Finally whip out a vacuum cleaner and turn it on, stick the smaller vacuum line into the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner. You should now see fuel coming out of the fuel line and dumping into your container, wala.

This way you don't have to siphon fuel out the tank, and its not very messy if done right.

Sold bikes, fun times..
'85 Honda Spree
'05 Vento Triton ported 70cc
'98 Italjet Formula 50 LC 70cc
04 Vento Zip R3i 70cc

Last edited by burnt_toast; 06-21-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_toast
Finally whip out a vacuum cleaner and turn it on, stick the smaller vacuum line into the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner. You should now see fuel coming out of the fuel line and dumping into your container.
Thanks for replying so promptly, I was hoping to get some answers before I went to bed: it's 12:42AM right now. Please do reply again if you see this right away.

What in the world is a vacuum cleaner? And, how do I go about turning it on?!

When you say the smaller vacuum line, you just actually mean the smaller of the two lines I pulled off right? Not that there are 2 vacuum lines that I need to pull (3 lines in total)... am I correct?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Asset to the Forum

Before you go through all that trouble, have you tried replacing the
spark plug?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:34 PM

No, I have not tried that; thought about it, but it was changed at the beginning of this season. Afterwards I re-ajusted the carb: 1.5-1.75 turns out for the screw nearest to the outside and the smaller screw (nearest to the inside) was ajusted so that the rpms come back down after I "blimp" the throttle.

I did not have any problems for 1000+kms.

Should I change the plug then drain, or drain then change?

Last edited by Nicolas; 06-21-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Asset to the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas
Thanks for replying so promptly, I was hoping to get some answers before I went to bed: it's 12:42AM right now. Please do reply again if you see this right away.

What in the world is a vacuum cleaner? And, how do I go about turning it on?!

When you say the smaller vacuum line, you just actually mean the smaller of the two lines I pulled off right? Not that there are 2 vacuum lines that I need to pull (3 lines in total)... am I correct?
Correct, smaller of the ones you pulled off. There is one vacuum line, one fuel line, and one oil line, 3 lines in total with the oil line being the smallest in diameter. (DO NOT pull the oil line off!)

And I think you're reading into too technically. I'm just talking about a good 'ol fashioned, clean your carpets and rugs vacuum cleaner.. lol

Like in this vacuum cleaner, use the accessory line and basically make the vacuum cleaner suck on the vacuum line:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohellwithme/84650788/

(note: yes that is a toy vacuum cleaner )

Sold bikes, fun times..
'85 Honda Spree
04 Vento Zip R3i 70cc
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 PM

I could just suck on it with my mouth right? Lol a vacuum, as in not a scooter term, but the household appliance.

Should I try changing the plug first?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Asset to the Forum

At least take a look at it. I guess it wouldn't make any sense
to put a new plug in, if the reason it went bad (if it's bad) is
still in the tank. Hope your carb is ok, that's the main thing.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Asset to the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas
I could just suck on it with my mouth right? Lol a vacuum, as in not a scooter term, but the household appliance.

Should I try changing the plug first?
yes, you "could" suck with your mouth, but do you know how long you'll be sucking it till you dump all the fuel? using the appliance is much easier, and fairly easy specially if you have the lines disconnected already.

as stepvino said, changing the plug wont do much if you still got bad gas.

dump fuel, put new fuel in, then change plug and see how it is.

Sold bikes, fun times..
'85 Honda Spree
04 Vento Zip R3i 70cc
Old 06-23-2007, 01:11 PM

SPECIAL THANKS TO BOTH BURNT TOAST AND STEPVINO

I would like to know that my scooter is fine now and so am I : a broken scooter takes a toll on a scooterist's general mood.

I drained the fuel and from the fuel line and then the carb's float : then I sprayed carb cleaner into every little whole I could find : ).

I haven't driven it yet by myself (me and my GF went for a drive) so I am not sure if it performs as well as before... it is still very slow with my GF but it always was.

Just to make sure, did I tune my carb correctly: "I re-ajusted the carb: 1.5-1.75 turns out for the screw nearest to the outside and the smaller screw (nearest to the inside) was adjusted so that the rpms come back down after I "blimp" the throttle."???
Old 06-23-2007, 02:44 PM
///BANNED/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullet
is that what happened to urs? i knew not to put the whole thing in mine, i just use a couple of capfuls, and even that is prolly too much. thats what happens when the only station when ur empty is a caseys with the highest octane bein 89.. what a crock.
No, I thought that is what YOU did!? I'd like to see exactly what would happen if someone really did dump a whole bottle in their tank! Any volunters?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Asset to the Forum

I might try it!!!!!!!!!! It seems I like my scooter for a garage orniment, rather than a bike.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:00 PM

lol... if i could remember how to put the elite back together id do it.. found some motors for under 200, so i think im gonna just buy a fresh one for it.