Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Yamaha Scooters > Zuma > Zuma Tuning Issues

Old 04-15-2012, 04:40 PM

Default In need of some advice..

hey there. I have the 70cc kit on my 05 and i have been trying to dial in the carb. I just moved the pilot jet up a notch and Im running an 88 main jet..
Everything is great in the lowend take of speeds, and the top end speeds have power too.. But what im finding is there is a bog around 35km to about 50km. i was wondering if anyone has had the same problem, and what it the fix for this..? A/F screw? bigger jet? thanks
G
Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Hey Gerard, you have that 70cc kit on, but have you changed the airflow at all? I have been tuning my carb on my vino 125 after putting a 150 bbk in it since October, and I put a freeflowing filter in it two days ago and my bogging problems are gone! Perhaps more air will help you?

Last edited by Robertskappasig; 04-15-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM

I have taken that inner snorkle piece out of my stock air box. Other then that, I'm not too sure how much more air I can let in.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 PM

I took my entire air box out and put on a Uni Filter I bought off of Provo here. It is louder, grunts harder, shakes more, and doesn't act like it is running out of gas at WOT at sustained top speed! I swapped main jets and cleaned my carb all winter, and this one switch helped me. I think with any BBK more air is needed. Maybe get some of those filtered plugs and drill some holes in your airbox? More air man, more air
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 PM

Makes sense man. I will try that. Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 PM

I hope that works for you! I am kicking myself for not realizing that my bigger engine needs more air and gas. I was giving it more gas and hated the results, but didn't work on more air until the other day. I hope you have similar success!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:53 PM

I will keep u updated.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 PM

Sounds great, good luck!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 AM

Where sould I put these holes on the air box?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM

the key is to make sure that any air getting in through those holes will be filtered through the filter. You can get filtered inserts to filter that air as it enters the box for around 10 bucks at most dealers, and also in the store on this site. If your airbox is like the vino 125's, you'll either put them on the top of the box or in the box facing out. Make sure the holes are outside of the main filter though.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Super poster

That bogging might actually be caused by the clutch/rear pulley and have nothing to do with the carburetor at all.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 AM

What do you mean?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM

http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters...-4-stroke.html

I have a picture describing it with arrows and things but i can never upload photos for some reason. Long story short is its a preference thing, (some tracks you use a straight slot, some tracks you use the curved one) some people say the straight slots in the torque driver, or "rear variator" as the pedal mopeds kids call it, will improve "all around" performance, but ive never tried it, its an expensive part. I prefer to spend money on tires and pistons. I have a part with the straight slots but again the photo thing never works for me. What i do know is that the stronger your springs the faster the change, so if you beef those up and get an aftermarket clutch it may solve your problem. That will only cost you about 100 bucks and about a 1/4 of your usable throttle.

Pollini 9 roller verio 3grms, pollini crank, pollini aluminium EVO 70cc, turbokitR 70 pipe, 21mm dellorto carb, and stock clutch stage6 torque spring. /
Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 PM

I have been looking at upgrading my aging clutch. U think anew clutch will solve my problem eh? I hope so. I will keep you updated with the results. Now to choose a new clutch.... Recomendations anyone? I'm guessing a new clutch bell to?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
I have been looking at upgrading my aging clutch. U think anew clutch will solve my problem eh? I hope so. I will keep you updated with the results. Now to choose a new clutch.... Recomendations anyone? I'm guessing a new clutch bell to?
My recommendation is to replace all the components with same brand components all at the same time. No reason to get in there 3-4 times as you keep buying parts. Do it all at once.
2002 Bajaj Chetak
1983 Yamaha Riva 180
1979 Vespa P125X(150cc top end)
1966 Yamaha MG1T 80cc Omaha Trail
(sold scooters)
2007 Vino125cc, 2005 Tank Urban 50(72cc kit installed)
2004 Honda Passport, 1987 Honda Elite CH80
1984 Honda Trail 110, 1983 Honda Passport C70(88cc installed)
1979 Honda Trail 90(125cc installed)