Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Scooter Related Stuff > Product Previews & Rider Reviews > Provo Part Reviews

Old 01-14-2005, 02:39 AM
XPS1210

Default Oil pump disable is "REQUIRED" according to Airsal... check this out! OOPS!

Okay...

I was cleaning out my box of old parts and ran into something interesting!

This came with my AIRSAL CYLINDER!

It says...

"IMPORTANT

If you change your carburator to a bigger one, please delete the lubrication pump. Use synthetic oil 3% to assure the right proportion of oil that your engine needs"

So apparently Lennox and his toasted cylinder and my damaged cylinder and a couple other ones out there! could have been saved if any of us would have read the little YELLOW ATTENTION slip in there! OOPS!

Anyway according to the above info if you install the Airsal cylinder and a carb... YOU MUST remove the oil pump and premix!

IMO a good idea and there is a simple to read and follow HOW TO in the HOW TO area listed in the blue bar above... look under "JERED'S HOW TO'S"....
Old 01-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Asset to the Forum

LOL..now you tell me!! Now you just have to convince Ryda!?!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 PM
XPS1210

still saying to each thier own... but the cylinder manufacturer says to remove it.... Can't argue!
Old 01-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Super poster

I can only think of benefits with the oil pump disable, less drag on the engine,and the fact you know your mixture is right.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Asset to the Forum

I was cleaning up the other day, and came across my instructions from a Airsal 70cc kit.........

Note #9
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan.pdf (420.7 KB, 77 views)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:58 PM
XPS1210

to view the PDF file that lennox posted you need to right click and "save target as"

then you can open it...
Old 12-16-2005, 01:46 AM
Asset to the Forum

why do you have to remove the oil pump, just dont use it and premix, the cylinder wont know. lol. my friend out here has a malaguti digital with complete polini evo parts 100% and he is still using his injector and hasnt had a problem. i will keep you guys posted when i build my ac evo motor and keep my injector too. hahahahahaha.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 AM
Asset to the Forum

Most of us remove the gear at least to reduce drag on the crank. I dont physically remove the pump from the scoot though.
2005 Zuma -- Polini Evo2, OKO PWK 28 Carb, Roost Racing Pipe, Polini Ignition, 16/40 gears, Malossi Overrange kit, Galfer 4 Piston Caliper, Hebo 12mm Crank , 13" Aerox Rims, blah blah, go fast. 51 mph here I come!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:29 AM
XPS1210

not to reduce drag... simply to keep the pump from running without oil in it and burning the oil pump up in case of needing it in the future!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Asset to the Forum

well i took mine off to reduce drag

i could care less if ti burns up.
2005 Zuma -- Polini Evo2, OKO PWK 28 Carb, Roost Racing Pipe, Polini Ignition, 16/40 gears, Malossi Overrange kit, Galfer 4 Piston Caliper, Hebo 12mm Crank , 13" Aerox Rims, blah blah, go fast. 51 mph here I come!
Old 12-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Zuma-Zuma

Well, the law states that these mods are illegal, and should be used for racing purposes only. The pipe isn't approved for use, and is illegal in the noise department. I also had the little T-6 paper about removing the oil pump. If somebody can tell me that they can see, hear or feel the drag difference on that little oil pump, let me know. Premix can give you a consistent mixture ratio, but those pumps are on some extremely hi-performance snowmobiles I've seen. These sleds also have a type of 2 stroke fuel injection, and it hasn't affected them. Like jered stated, to each his own.

Its not like its going to affect warranty
Old 12-16-2005, 05:37 PM
XPS1210

not in my opinion...
Old 12-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Asset to the Forum

Cops are on their way to your house now Zuma Zuma
Old 12-16-2005, 06:18 PM
XPS1210

Unless someone complains, no one will care about them as they are not as loud as harleys... which with the loud pipes ARE ILLEGAL TOO!

Stock Harleys are not loud... it's the screaming eagle and other pipes that make them that way...
Old 12-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Zuma-Zuma

What do you mean its not your opinion, YOU stated "still saying to each their own... but the cylinder manufacturer says to remove it.... Can't argue!

Didn't say anything about Harleys, (or car stereos, or other loud things). I made a more broad generalization about the subject beyond noise.

Str8dum, not worried about the cops, or my oil pump. But answer my post, how much power have you gained by removing the pump and reducing drag.......
Old 12-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Asset to the Forum

my post was in jest. as leaving the pump on there wont burn it up either.
However, no reason to have soemthing else spinning off the crank if you are not using it, now is there? Its just called being anal.

I dont understand what you are tryin to argue or what the relevance of your previous post even had to this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma-Zuma
What do you mean its not your opinion, YOU stated "still saying to each their own... but the cylinder manufacturer says to remove it.... Can't argue!

Didn't say anything about Harleys, (or car stereos, or other loud things). I made a more broad generalization about the subject beyond noise.

Str8dum, not worried about the cops, or my oil pump. But answer my post, how much power have you gained by removing the pump and reducing drag.......
Old 12-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Zuma-Zuma

Geez str8, I didn't realize a pump left in place was anal. You state twice now it reduces drag.

The rest of the post was in response to jered. He can pm me, or just leave it, its just a post. IF you don't like it, don't respond or read it, its that simple
Old 12-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Asset to the Forum

Yes something not spinning on the crank reduces drag. That simple. How much, who cares. I never claimed any increase in crank rpm. You called me out by name. I just answered your post. Very simple to understand. Argue that.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Asset to the Forum

hahahahahaha doesnt matter to me, i am still goin to use that oil pump with my new watercooled evo set up on my 2000 zuma, hahahahahahahaha. its only a street scooter and not full race so it doesnt matter to me. lets just see what kinds of speeds you guys are getting cuzz thats all that really matters in the end.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:59 PM

amen to that!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:23 PM

why cant you run the pump and put like a cap full of oil in the gas when you fill up. that should be enough oil to run it.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Asset to the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb9582
why cant you run the pump and put like a cap full of oil in the gas when you fill up. that should be enough oil to run it.
who says you cannot do that. i run the pump on my zuma with a mhr bore and i dont even add oil to the gas, pump only.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Asset to the Forum

Realistically, the pump is probably fine. at 300$ a cylinder, i;d rather err on the safe side. But i guess as long as you jet considering the unknwn amounts of oil leaning out your mixture at 13, 14000 rpms you'll be safe. Thats a big unknown.
But still we are just basically chatting around the central theme that its up to your comfort level.

Which MHR cylinder do you have? single piece head or modular?
Old 12-18-2005, 12:37 PM
XPS1210

it really doesn't matter!

do what you want... if your scooter goes faster due to less drag... then cool... or you prefer to premix or inject...

it's all your own preference, you have to live with what you do... so to each their own!
Old 12-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Asset to the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum
Realistically, the pump is probably fine. at 300$ a cylinder, i;d rather err on the safe side. But i guess as long as you jet considering the unknwn amounts of oil leaning out your mixture at 13, 14000 rpms you'll be safe. Thats a big unknown.
But still we are just basically chatting around the central theme that its up to your comfort level.

Which MHR cylinder do you have? single piece head or modular?
my zuma is a 2000 so malossi only has the aircooled mhr bore kit 68cc for that bike, but when i switch over to the laydown minarelli engine i am goin with the polini evo watercooled that does have the modular head. also i have a friend out here that is running a complete polini evo set up with a kundo rotor kit and he is running the injector and his bike runs like a champ.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 PM

If you wanna use the oil pump mine is adjustable plus I* just dump a2 caps of oil in each tank of gas.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM

I have done both on this kits and so far neither has lasted more then two weeks maybe i am not filing chamber ports enough or not breaking them in right. first kit was with the 21mm Spanish carb ran fine for 1 week and 3 days, the other kit was with stock carb because for some reason while waiting on new kit my carb quite work the needle would not move up and down any more in the carb (if i put the cylinder part in that holds needle, upside down it will travel up and down smooth put in the right way will not travel down more then half way forceful )
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 PM

Well.....if you don't Jet properly...you will seize.
Goodness gracious.....
If you put oil in the tank, you must upjet since you are technically leaning out the mixture since less gas goes through the jet, since the thicker oil molecules are "crowding" it when the fuel flows through. If you are going to add oil to the tank then you should upjet a size or two based on that alone.

2005 Zuma Team Yamaha Blue
1974 RD-250 Sold
1987 FZ700 Fazer with 4-1 Vance and Hines exhaust
Stage 6 modular race liquid cooled, Stage 6 R1200 exhaust, 21mm Black PHBG Dellorto racing edition carb, Malossi Over range kit! Malossi Delta Clutch and wing bell w/blue clutch springs,Malossi VL12 reed cage with CF reeds,Malossi Brake pads, Stage 6 multimeter (Tach,temp and hourmeter), Str8 water pump and housing, Stage 6 Chrome Kick Starter,Genuine Yamaha Bar Ends.Dual Headlight Mod,Michelin Bopper front and Pirelli SL26 Rear,Motul 800 double ester oil, BR9EIX , PRE-MIX, If you don't have a full race setup run stock airbox! if you don't you are a noobtard
Team provo moderator, keep on scootin "scooter troops"