Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Yamaha Scooters > Zuma > Stock Zumas

Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Noob

Default yamaha zuma license requirements?

ok so im thinking about getting a yamaha zuma scooter and was wondering if i would need a motorcycle license to drive this scooter?
-thanks ahead of time

note i am 16 and have a drivers license

Last edited by ej132; 03-09-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Official Rep
Admin

I'm not sure what the law is in Michigan but it varies by state. Here in Utah, and also in California, you need a motorcycle license. I think in Florida and Hawaii you don't need a motorcycle license for something that small. Hopefully someone from Michigan can post.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 PM

I know in WI you dont need one
Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 PM

Web www.moped2.org

Translate to: German | French
Spanish | Portugese | Italian

Michigan Moped Laws
Moped Definition

A two- or three-wheeled vehicle with a motor which has no more than 50cc piston displacement producing two brake horsepower or less. The moped must have a power drive system that does not require shifting gears and cannot have a top speed exceeding 30 mph on level surfaces.

Moped Licensing

To operate a moped on public roadways and highways, you must have a valid operator or chauffeur license. If you do not have either of these licenses and are above the age of 15, you may apply for a moped at a Secretary of State office.

Special Moped License

You must pass a vision, knowledge and traffic sign test to obtain a moped license. You do not have to pass a driver education course or a road skills test. If you are under age 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign your license application. You must give up your moped license if you obtain a regular operator or chauffeur license.

The original moped license fee is $7.50. Applicants who are under 20 years, 6 months old receive a moped license valid until their 21st birthday. Any other moped license expires four years from the applicant’s last birthday. The four-year renewal fee is $6.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Super poster

ej132 - Check your State DMV or DOT. Don't take our word for it.
The name Moped and Motorscooter are often used to describe the same vehicle, but in most States there is a difference.
A two- or three-wheeled vehicle with a motor which has no more than 50cc piston displacement producing two brake horsepower or less. The moped must have a power drive system that does not require shifting gears and cannot have a top speed exceeding 30 mph on level surfaces
In Illinois this describes a Moped (or classified as a pedacycle) and only requires a Std Driver's license, but they still have to be registered, have Ins and plates. In Illinois if a 49cc motorscooter has more than 2 hp and goes over 30 mph, it is classified as a motorcycle and requires the appropriate endorsement. That description covers about 99% of the motorscooters made.