Go Back   Provoscooter.com | Forums > Every Other Scooter > European Scooters > Piaggio & ItaliJet Tuning

Old 06-23-2008, 04:43 PM

Unhappy Piaggio typhoon 50 upgrade

Well I have a 05 typhoon and have run into wall after wall trying to get the most out of my 50cc, currently I have put a tecnigas next muffler on it , upgraded the jet in the carb to a 62,put 3x tighter springs in the clutch, and replaced the roller weights 6.5 grams, scooter before these changes was doing about 35 MPH with my big 240 pound self on it, but now 28 maybe 30 if lucky, but after reading and doing alot of head scratching I find out there are restrictors in the exhaust , just great nobody told me this not even the guys I bought the muffler from.Well have the muffler off right now waiting for a new gasket before I put it back together , I really hope this is the missing link here and this gives me 40 mph or better. Love the scooter is built well and easy to tear down and work on but bad thing is even the muffler I bought was all in french or something had a few bags of bolts and crazy directions in french, so had to figure everything out on my own and everything else for that matter being the scooter is italian and imported from UK.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 AM
Asset to the Forum

so what are you trying to do. check out my scooter garage, i have a typhoon/NRG with only a basic metra kit bore kit and a leo sp3 pipe and i can get 60, sometimes 65mph out of it. my tranny and gears are still stock, the carb has a bigger main but thats it.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 AM

What I am trying to do is get my Piaggio to do 40-45 on the flat without the 70cc cylinder upgrade yet, I do want to add the malossi cylinder kit but just don't have the extra cash at the moment, I just have not seen any progress yet from the changes I have made instead of going slower I want to see it go faster than original,but I am hoping takeing that restritor out of the tecnigas muffler will give me more power and speed than 28 MPH. In my original post was listing what I have done to see if people agree I have taken the right steps.Anyway thanks wish I could say mine goes 65, but thats a bit scary when think about it , maybe dangerous on a scooter haha
Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Asset to the Forum

brah there is nothing dangerous about going 65mph on a typhoon. a typhoon is a really big scooter, and would be confy taking my bike up too 100mph if it could go that fast. my stock typhoon could only get 35 to 38mph which is junk. the euro guys claim that they can get 50 to 55 on a stock typhoon. maybe you should talk to those guys see what they do. i tried it but nothing, so i went with the 140 dollar cheapo metra kit and it worked out good. you bike should be better than mine if you go with the correct malossi, just dont cheap out like most guys do. i went with the cheapo because i spent a lot of money on body panels, and i have a rear disk motor that will be going on my bike with 13" NRG rims.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 AM

Default Reply

You are exactly right I have actually been talking to some people in the UK about what tricks they know, their first advice is when in doubt buy Malossi, I am hopeing can find a dealer here that carries Malossi cause the last place I checked was in the UK and wanted over 90.00 for shipping for a 70 cc cylinder upgrade.I thank you for the added confirmation on that cause I don't always just believe what one person says, but if more than one says the same thing must be true. Sadly the UK guys say my Tecnigas is junk, but seems alot of americans love the pipe and are very proud of it so not real sure about that. I do know I got a pretty good deal on mine so can't really complain about that (130.00 new) I believe but is the older version tecnigas next muffler non crome. But just the same its a cool looking pipe , I also agree 35 mph kinda stinks, my goal is to just keep with traffic 40 would be acceptable 45 would be better , if can achieve that without the 70cc upgrade might leave as is, I have done step by step what the UK Boy's have advised me so I am just waiting on a muffler gasket now, and can try this baby out. Oh I purchased this scooter about a month ago from an older guy he really didn't know much about the scooter other than the basics, no manual just the key and title, so I am trying my best to learn as much as I can and have learned ton's so far, after this is all over maybe I should take a course in scooter mechanics cause I have torn this baby down alot of times, except maybe the gearing portion, not yet anyway.lol

Last edited by w8tlftr; 06-25-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:19 AM

I put the scooter together just now and made a quarter mile test run, WOW!!! Success!!! I didn't try to open her up all the way but hit 41 on the flat easy with so much more power , it's even trying to pull little wheelies haha whats up with that, haha.The boyz in UK know their scooter no joke, it's performing so much better than before and im not sure need a 70cc upgrade , but maybe will do that later , but as of now very happy with the results runs awsome!Looking for a Zuma on the road so can race it hehe.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Asset to the Forum

lol, glad to hear it worked out for you, but if you can get a malossi or polini (contesa or corsa) cylinder. you will really love your bike, because you will be touching that 60-65mph mark, 45 is only half throttle.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:39 PM

I think im going to go ahead and get the malossi 70cc upgrade at the end of July , is install hard if you do it yourself? I have done everything else just not attempted the cylinder change.Wondering something you said about a differant rim 13" what will that do? I wanted to go ahead and replace the main clutch tork spring but was advised not to worry about it until the cylinder change, at that time might go ahead and get the raceing variator kit as well, but not sure if should also get a bigger carb or just put a bigger jet in the one I have, I have a 70 Jet was given to me when bought the 62 im running now, I think that 70 jet might be alright with the 70cc upgrade.I saw a USA sight with a Malossi 70cc kit for 145.00 not real sure thats compatable with my Piaggio, the guy gave me his # and said to call him, no matter what want to bite it and buy the malossi cylinder kit even if have to pay big shipping from the UK.I took a mile run yesterday to see just how fast on the flat could go got to 43 MPH, 38 in a headwind, not to bad for a pipe change, a darn bit better than the 33 MPH it went when bought the bike, take in mind I am a good 240 pounds.Also I bought some syenthetic 2 stroke oil for the scooter from a local vespa dealer who carries absolutly nothing for my scooter by the way lol, cost 17 dollars , good greef ? Was advised by my step father to buy a 5 quart size syethetic from wallmart him telling me is good stuff and cheap as the one quart I bought .
Old 06-27-2008, 01:49 PM

Talking

Oh and the guy I talk to from the UK says the best pipe now and what they are running is called a Gianelli, maybe thats the same company your pipe is not know anything about that. But have been told your pipe is the best as well.They said when my Tecnigas rust and falls off to put that Gianelli on there haha.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:57 AM
Asset to the Forum

the 13" rims only make the bike look better and handle somewhat better. check out the piaggio NRG's and you will see what i am talking about. there are a couple of U.S. shops that will have a cylinder for your bike so you wont have to pay that high shipping price. its only worth paying those prices if you are going to order plenny parts, but only a cylinder is not worth it. also dont just a cylinder because it says malossi on it. find out what malossi model that cylinder is.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 PM

Thats good advice I am confused big time now didn't realise there were Malossi models, meaning year made ? is there better versions ? And one question would you have any idea the few shops that sell Malossi here in the USA? That would be awsome.Driveing around town today the scooter still isn't as fast as would like with my wife behind me 32 up hill 38-40 flat, also after stopped for a few didnt want to start easy I guess this is normal when make changes to the engine curve, but after that one time started fine after that.I guess could adjust the engine idle knob for that.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:33 AM
Asset to the Forum

yeah there are diff levels for malossi cylinders. check out some euro sites to see what levels there are for your bike. whatever cylinder you get just make sure it comes with a head. most of the cheapos dont come with a head, you have to use the stock 50cc head. there is malossi u.s.a., provoscooter is a malossi dealer. you can even check ebay, there might be a polini cylinder for your bike and that will work really good also.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:26 PM

I ordered the Malossi 70cc with head kit, also the guy is sending me a few jets for my carb a 66 jet and a 68, the guyz in UK suggest a 68 jet so will try that , was concered cause was asked what size carb I have on my Piaggio , I just didn't know but the guy in UK said all were made with a 17 mm after 2001, I still wasn't to sure about that so went outside and took a side panel off to peek, says 17 3? something like that, the 3 is small not sure , but am pretty sure is a 17 meaning do not have to buy a bigger carb, so thats good. Also I asked the Malossi seller to polish the ports for me so won't have to do that. I was looking at dirrections on this sight about changeing the cylinder seems very informative, but I am sure isn't a piaggio thats displayed there.My wife might be mad when she finds out I burned up our credit card today haha, was a little bummed that the price I found online at vespa speed.com was a old sight showing prices back in 2005, but wasn't that much more for the cylinder 175.00 I think with the head, cast iron, but they did have a better version but was not Malossi was an aluminum and easy to scratch and damage, so went with the cast iron Malossi,I am sure will be more than enough power for tooling to the store and back. I ride with my wife alot of times and bugs me when only able to get to 25 on an uphill grade so I imagine this will improve a bit. My next goal I guess will be a performance variator and maybe better brakes.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Asset to the Forum

you really dont need a diff front pulley, the piaggio pullies are the biggest you will find, thats why they have such a high top speed. just spend your time tuning your tranny weights after you get your cylinder and pipe on your bike. also what model cylinder did you get and what was brand was that other cylinder. remember that just because a cylinder is aluminum doesnt mean it will scratch easy. the cylinder coating on most al-cylinders is a lot harder then a case iron cylinder, thats why you only replace the piston when you seize it. if you seize that case cylinders most times you have to bore the cylinder and replace the piston.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:08 AM

Default Scooter upgrade

I am not positive about the version of Malossi I bought was one of two differant cylinders kits he had, I believe the other was either the contesa or corsa sounds similar to what he said, I did make sure what I bought was Malossi and included the head, and was a cast iron cylinder kit, came out to 175.00 or so not including the 2 jets I also purchased. I probably should have bought another muffler gasket, being the one I had prior broke in half when I took my pipe off. Of course I want to reach 60 MPH, but whats most important to me is a product thats durable and reliable at the same time, so when he went into detail on the aluminum version that performed better, I lost a little interest when he said was real easy to scratch and damage it though. As it is now I can get to 40-43 MPH leaning foward to cut down on the wind, but want more pick up and to sit strait up and down not haveing to worry about wind, 50 MPH with more power would really be what I am looking for. Maybe will think about the gearing later ,but only If I can do that without takeing away from the low end power. I read somewhere that once I upgrade to the 70cc I will have to put heavier roller weights back in, I wonder if the original rollers would work, cause they are a bit heavier than the 6 gram I have in there now.I am now trying to find home videos online about changeing a cylinder head so can learn as much as possible before it comes, tell me something when I am looking at parts for a Piaggio Typhoon I always see ET2 or ET3,ET4 , what does that mean? I assume what I have is a ET2. 2 meaning 2 stroke? The other day was at a store on my scooter and a small kid came out with his fingers in his ears cause I guess my scooter is to loud, oh gosh I guess with a 70cc everyone might be holding their ears lol.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:34 AM
Asset to the Forum

your bike cannot be that loud without something being wrong, like a broken header gasket. stock 50cc with only a pipe is not that much more loud then a stock pipe. the corsa or contesa are iron bores, they work really really good. post a picture of your bore when you get it.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:10 AM

That worries me a little bit, I talked with the guy from UK, he said: (((Technigas's are loud, the barrel/head on it doesn't affect the noise it makes

If it's blowing it might be louder than normal, but all race pipes are
louder as they aren't as restrictive as the standard pipes, you
basically have a straight through exhaust))) I will say the sound is comming out of the exhaust end, I am not noticeing a after sound meaning like there is a header leak, you would think if is a leak I wouldn't be going 8-10 MPH faster. But just the same when I take it apart I will inspect and even take a pic of the bore, this last time I installed my muffler I really was carful to make sure I installed and sealed that exhaust up right, now I will say I took loose the guts on my silencer looking down the tube being the aluminum casing was so tight I couldn't remove that without maybe breaking something, I wanted to make sure the exhaust restrictor wasn't there, in tecnigas most have 2 one in the front where it connects to the cylinder and one in the small pipe portion before the silencer is put on, I didn't have one where the silencer goes,I made sure by takeing the guts out with insolation wraped around,I peeked useing a light to make sure wasn't there, I pushed back together but is possible some of that insolation wrinkled or went in distorted a little causeing it to be louder, thats really at this point all I could imagine would make it louder from the pipe end, that and the fact alot more air is flowing once I removed the coned restricor out of the muffler opening.Tecnigas next muffler has a fairly small silencer, I really can't compare other than looking at other brands online. I guess all this will not be a problem once I replace the cylinder anyway but does worry me being I might drive it some before the upgrade. I went online yesterday and bought some stickers to put on my Scooter , got a few 9 " Malossi , and one Dellorto to put on it .
Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 AM

I have not recieved the kit yet but and very currious what I need to watch out for when changeing the cylinder , I read some of what was posted on this sight about changeing a cylinder, but it wasn't a Piaggio and it talked about going into the fan shoud and something about the oil injection line? Is this something I will have to worry about doing on my Piaggio? I feel like I got some really good tips though like after the cylinder change fill the tank up with 2% gas oil mix in case there are air bubbles in the oil mixture line and to help break in the new cylinder, breaking down the scooter I can do no problem except the cylinder portion which I just have not tried yet, I understand I need to oil the rod bearing when replaceing it and the cylinder where the piston slides with 2 stroke engine oil.Is there a poundage I need to put on the cylinder bolts when putting it back together or will just getting it good and equally tight be good enough?Wish there was a piaggio typhoon malossi cylinder change video could watch .
Old 07-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Asset to the Forum

i just tighten the bolts to whatever feels right. you really cannot mess anything up. that technigas pipe is not a race pipe, its just a street pipe. i would love to hear your bike, im sure its not as loud as my yamahas and honda. i can my jog from 4 blocks away (14,000 rpm), and its mostly the 28mm carb.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:26 PM

Talking Typhoon video

I have never posted a video online so hope this worked the scooter was cold when started had not run it in a few days but warmed up nice after a few minutes still sounds good though. here is a link I am trying to post to my Youtube video I made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZECkav0xh8
Old 07-03-2008, 01:29 PM

Let me know if that worked thats way cool if it did, I want to make videos of climbing insane hills with my FJ cruiser 2 haha
Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Asset to the Forum

good video. your bike is not loud at all.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 AM

After watching my own video I became concerned about something, I don't have the chrome pipe is just steel, is it normal to become discolored like that , its black 1/3 of the pipe, im just thinking could this mean its running to rich or not rich enough? I have heard the saying do a plug chop, I have no idea what that means at all, thinking out loud would mean to me a shorter plug? Anyway let me know is the dicoloration normal and if not what should I do?

Last edited by w8tlftr; 07-04-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Asset to the Forum

heat will make anything turn colors, so its normal.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 AM

I was told after installing the 70cc to not add oil to the gas for piston breakin, instead to adjust the oil pump down in the trans case, I wasn't sure which way to adjust that from the info i had, and ended up breaking the ajustment threads on the outside of the case into the trans case hole, It was explained to me today I should pull the cable out somemakeing the throttle cable turn 1.5 mm more in return supplying more oil.I was pretty upset after doing all that hard work with success now I mess that up but I put a nut on the outside piece it stays in place because of the wheel tension from the oil wheel makeing the lines even, I was told to make it slightly past even but originally it wasnt really even, so I made the adjustment makeing it about 2mm past where it was. I am worried didnt do this right, I fired it up and she runs, sputters some but maybe cause was still cold, plus im running a 70 jet in the carb was told to run a 68,I have not run it much cause just dont want to damage it.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Asset to the Forum

the only way you will find out if the bike is right is by riding it. the 70 jet you put it will help it out a lil more then the 68 on top end. ride the bike and see how it goes.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:03 PM

Have a question after you installed your 70cc cylinder what size jet did you run? I have a plan because I am not real sure about adjusting this oil injection system has me a bit nervious about the percentage oil really is going into the gas, what If I add 50 to 1 oil mix to the gas tank allow the oil injection system to run empty and just pre mix my gas through the gas tank? I can just leave it as is not unhook anything? I just want to know for sure I am putting the right mix in this engine, do you agree ?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Asset to the Forum

i think i'm running a 80main. i believe in the injector. i am the only guy in the forum that was running a race cylinder (malossi MHR) and still using injector. that was on my 2000 zuma and i did that for at lease 4 years without problems. on my typhoon i'm still using the injector, my friend adjusted it a lil but i dont run extra oil in the gas. if you fell better about premixing then do it. its a lot cheaper to run the injector.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Ran it today success is running much better after I changed the reeds, plus took out the restrictor plate in the carb, im running pre mixed 25/1 right now for cylinder break in, shes got more power and actually quieter than the 50cc cylinder, but gets loud when giveing it max gas. I have fine tuneing to do now I guess , before was running 41-42 MPH on the flat now 47 but more power getting to speed as well.I am wondering if when I put the 40/1 ratio it will improve a little bit? But overall im real happy so far.Also according to UK guyz I should run a 68 jet I am running the 70, if is to rich could affect the top end maybe, not sure
Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Asset to the Forum

being a lil rich is not a problem, that just means at WOT you will be o.k. putting more oil in your bike wont make it run faster. i'm still running stock reeds on my bike. do you have a pipe on your bike yet?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:39 AM

Yes have a tecnigas next muffler , ducked down and got it to 50 on the flat yesterday take in mind I weight a GOOD 240
Old 07-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Asset to the Forum

hahahahahahaha, i only weigh 165lbs and can get 55 to 62 without tucking and if everything is just right i can get 65mph without the tuck also. not too bad with only a basic or and pipe. have you noticed that we are the only 2 that post in this tread.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 AM

Awwww man you have me beat so far, but take in mind I am 240 pounds, I am thinking you have a much better pipe on yours than me, I need to tighten the front forks on mine, were a little sideways after pulling wheelies the other day, so twisted back but thinking if can twist need to tighten more.I am not a young guy like I use to be, I am 44 and my wife is 8 years younger than me, she likes to remind me I am older than her haha. I use to have motorcycles most of my life,I use to ride wheelies all the way down the street on an old 250 I had, even on my GSXR 1100 I had for a summer then sold because that thing was going to kill me, as much as I like power. When you get around 30ish you start to thinking hmmm maybe going 110 MPH isn't such a cool idea, haha. But just the same was rideing wheelies until went to far over, saved the scooter, but Jacked my leg up a bit, tell me friend the only back brake control is where the throttle is , I am always use to useing the foot brake on a motorcycle, how in the world do you do that?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:09 PM

I am wondering after reading something when I put my 70cc together all all the rest I have done what size roller weights did you put in your variator? Was reading heavier weight after the 70cc upgrade will give you more top end, lighter will give more take off but take away from the top end, I put the original rollers I had from when it was just a 50cc, I wonder if thats why you are going 60-65 MPH? Maybe you put heavier ones in? just the same have not tried that yet maybe trying slightly heavier might make a differance , but like my current take off can pull wheelies easy.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Asset to the forum

if you put heavier rollers in the vario & gained a bit of speed it is bcoz you were using too light rollers in the first place, for a given setup there is only 1 correct total roller weight. if you get the roller weights sport on you'll have both acceleration & top speed & that is fact.

Yamaha Aerox R
MHR Team 6T 70cc (max tuned) + MHR Team Crank + SKF 6204 TN9 C3 bearings + Malossi VL12 reedvalves + Yasuni C21 exhaust pipe + Keihin PWK28 carb + PVL digital inner rotor ignition + Polini Evo SS9 vario kit + Malossi Kevlar belt + Polini 128mm rear pulley + Malossi red vario spring + MHR blue clutchsprings + Delta clutch + Wing bell+ Polini 15/42 gear kit + Malossi RS24 rear damper + Bridgestone Racing Battlax tires

my "humble" trackday toy, 90+mph.